PDA

View Full Version : prelude cam?

b8er
04-13-2005, 09:57 PM
just wondering if a cam out of a 88 carb'd prelude would fit my 87 injected motor, i had it lieing around and they look pretty close but i havent tried it yet and was just wondering if anybody has sent these out to get reground and used them in our cars

by the way my motors the a20a4

smufguy
04-14-2005, 08:21 AM
you got this right? most likely it would fit. but if i remember correctly, they are not that great of a cam since the car was making much less power than the efi in our cars. I would say dont bother with that cam, but get a lxi/sei cam from our 3g and swap it in.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/648000-648999/648957_7_full.jpg

i

HondaBoy
04-14-2005, 09:42 AM
i was actually wondering that same thing about the cam. would the 88-89 FI head bump up the compression? i was wondering that also, dont know if that'd make any difference when the head is machined and new valves and stuff put in.

b8er
04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
if yuo took the head from a 87-88 carb'd prelude and put it on yuor accord it would bump up the compression since its carb'd the cam has a little bit more durration which doesnt really help our cars if i can remeber correctly

my question was if i took the cam out of the prelude , then got it reground to my car, would it fit in the head, im pretty sure it would but i was just wanted to double check and see if anybody had tried it before

smufguy
04-14-2005, 05:26 PM
yes, as long as the motor carries the same code. You can get it reground and put back in.

Compression will not change because of the cam. That is basic engine 101. Only the combustion chamber design, which is the piston cr and the clearance volume change will affect the compression ratio.

Clearance volume. The volume in the dome enclosed by an imaginary plane across the head. Obviously shaving the head more than the max or the service limit, will bump up the compression and so will the thickness of the head gasket.