PDA

View Full Version : 86 Accord LX Overheats a lot..

DeViOuS
04-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Well I have recently replace mah thermostat, and my car still over heats. I am not sure what tha hell it could be, but my fan never goes on. Ive been told I need a new fan sensor. How much are they and how hard are they to replace..? Are there any other reasons it would be heatin up..? :thumbdn:

NXRacer
04-14-2005, 11:58 AM
before posting a poll about such a common problem, try searching for the solution.

thanks!

Vinny
04-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Heres a one time free search for you on your overheating problem

http://3geez.com/search.php?searchid=178016

carotman
04-14-2005, 02:13 PM
hehe

If that doesn't answer your questions you can always try to see if this is a fan sensor problem by jumping both sensor wires to make the fan kick in

DeViOuS
04-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Ok so how do I jump it ? Im REALLY NEW to all this. I mean shit I own a Chiltons guide for it..lol

shepherd79
04-14-2005, 04:55 PM
well you can do a few things:
1. flush your cooling system. I use preston flush coolant additive.
2. replace the fan switch/sensor. it is on the bottom of the radiator.
3. if that doesn't work. you will have to replace the radiator most likely. it is probably cloged.

bkcorso
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM
If your fan is not coming on, it's a problem. the temp sending unit shoulnd't be much $ call a parts store . this would be your cheapest route
If i'm not mistaken, the fan should kick on if your ac is on, regardless of temp. someone will let me know if I'm wrong :)

carotman
04-14-2005, 05:27 PM
The fan sensor is pretty pricey.

To jump it, just removethe plug from the fan sensor at the bottom of the rad and jump the wires.

smufguy
04-14-2005, 05:34 PM
This is the first time i have seen three mods reply to one thread and pretty damn quick too. LOL

Well noob, your problem could be all of the above damn stuff.

1. Waterpump could be at fauly, but ours have an indication where it will leak if it goes bad. Since ours is belt driven they are much easier to change than the new cars where its driven by the timing belt.

2. Thermostat is only 5 bux from autozone or pepboys, so grab that and also grab a gasket from the dealer, which is like 3 bux and replace it by following the instructions in ur chiltons.

3. if the switch goes bad, u can just jump the wires and let it be. it will run all the time, and it wont damage anything.

4. Radiator could be at fault, if you see any rust or leak or even green dried up residue on the fins.

5. you could also overheat if the head gasket it blown or the head was warped and is taking in coolant more than anything.

PS: Do the above and see if it gets fixed. HOpe to kick ur ass in the future if you post something like this ever again. :)