PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Accord DX stalling after adding injector cleaner

moxxon
04-15-2005, 10:52 PM
I have a 1987 Accord DX that I just bought. Hoping to make the engine run smoother, I added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank. I now realize that the engine has a carburator, not fuel injectors. The car ran fine before adding the cleaner, and now it won't idle and just stalls when I take my foot off the gas pedal. The engine runs rougher now too. Can adding fuel injector cleaner to a car with a carb do more harm than good? I am thinking maybe the cleaner freed up some dirt and clogged up something. Any ideas about what might be wrong? Thanks....

Oldblueaccord
04-16-2005, 01:14 AM
I have a 1987 Accord DX that I just bought. Hoping to make the engine run smoother, I added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank. I now realize that the engine has a carburator, not fuel injectors. The car ran fine before adding the cleaner, and now it won't idle and just stalls when I take my foot off the gas pedal. The engine runs rougher now too. Can adding fuel injector cleaner to a car with a carb do more harm than good? I am thinking maybe the cleaner freed up some dirt and clogged up something. Any ideas about what might be wrong? Thanks....

Really it shouldn't hurt anything but yes you probably knocked loose a bunch of dirt and stuff and the carb does'nt like it. Try to keep the tank full to dilute it down and change your fuel filter as soon as you can.

wp

moxxon
04-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks Oldblue. I replaced the fuel filters and cleaned out the carb and everything works fine now....