PDA

View Full Version : So Which Type Of Oil Do You All Use?

Jonessoda27
04-16-2005, 12:28 AM
This question has probably been asked millions of times, but nonetheless, i am curious. I just did an oil change today and i dropped in 4 quarts of Castrol GTX high mileage. Was that a good choice?. BTW, the oil filter is a bitch to get out!

What do all of you use, and how much of it do you use?

And Oil Filters?? I used the basic fram.

Post Up!

Vanilla Sky
04-16-2005, 12:59 AM
mid-line fram filter with mobil 1 full synthetic, 10W30

paso100
04-16-2005, 01:26 AM
I use Castrol GTX high-mileage 20w-50.

Everything you would EVER want to know about oil:
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&engineoil_bible.html

A couple of words of warning:

* If you've been driving around with mineral oil in your engine for years, don't switch to synthetic oil without preparation. Synthetic oils have been known to dislodge the baked-on deposits from mineral oils and leave them floating around your engine - not good. I learned this lesson the hard way! It's wise to use a flushing oil first.
* If you do decide to change, only go up the scale. If you've been running around on synthetic, don't change down to a mineral-based oil - your engine might not be able to cope with the degradation in lubrication. Consequently, if you've been using mineral oil, try a semi or a full synthetic oil. By degradation, I'm speaking of the wear tolerances that an engine develops based on the oil that it's using. Thicker mineral oils mean thicker layers of oil coating the moving parts (by microns though). Switching to a thinner synthetic oil can cause piston rings to leak and in some very rare cases, piston slap or crank vibration.
* Gaskets and seals! With the makeup of synthetic oils being different from mineral oils, mineral-oil-soaked gaskets and seals have been known to leak when exposed to synthetic oils. Perhaps not that common an occurrence, but worth bearing in mind nevertheless.

88Accord-DX
04-16-2005, 01:32 AM
Here is your question answered a million times as you stated. :)

Link> http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=41124&page=2&pp=20&highlight=oil

TheWatcher
04-16-2005, 02:02 AM
I take it to the dealer, they change the oil for $25 (with a coupon). The good part is they do a free inspection, and you get the oem oil filter. That how I found out that my engine mount collasped. Had my mechanic replace it. The bad part is that you get 5W-30 motor oil, since that's what the dealer uses, so you don't get to choose what motor oil/synthetic goes into your ride.

AccordEpicenter
04-16-2005, 06:22 AM
mobil 1 15w50

HostileJava
04-16-2005, 07:01 AM
I use OEM filter and Castrol High Mileage Synthetic Oil.

epic1400cs
04-16-2005, 07:14 AM
I don't know if this is the same in US but I use Castrol GTX Magnetic 10W-40 with small amount of teflon powder mixed.

I also own two Rovers (sister car of Legend) with Honda 2.7L V6. This V6 is know to make lots of tapet noise at its warming up but with GTX Magnetics there is no noise - it is clear that GTX keeps clinging on the surface of the components better than any other oil I have tried so far.

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic and either OEM or Purolator PureOne filter. I would never use a Fram filter :sad2:

Vanilla Sky
04-16-2005, 07:13 PM
eh, fram's good quality for where you buy it :p (wal-mart)

i would prefer OEM, but our dealership stocks carquest filters, so i would assume they can supply me with the same filter the dealership supplies me with...

86LXItooFAST4me
04-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Royal Purpal 10w30 with WIX 1qt oil filter

HondaBoy
04-17-2005, 01:49 PM
i use castrol GTX 10W30 regular. for oil filters i had used fram, but now i'm using honda filters. i checked my oil last night. by now, my oil would usually be blackened when i've used the fram filters. its still goldish in color since i've used the honda filter. maybe there is a difference? also its starts better since i've used the honda filter.

epic1400cs
04-17-2005, 03:23 PM
its still goldish in color since i've used the honda filter. maybe there is a difference? also its starts better since i've used the honda filter.

I have no scientific back up but, with my Honda 2.7L V6 from Rover827,
if I use filter made by Honda, tapet noise goes away quite easily. On the other hand, with other brands inclusive of Rover, supposed to be OE, tapet tend to make noise forever. Some of the Rover 800 user group expert pointed out that Honda filter has good design with maximum oil flow.

snow_man_20
04-18-2005, 04:52 AM
Castrol GTX high mileage 10-40 for hot months
Castrol GTX high mileage 10-30 for cold months

k&n or mobol one filter

shepherd79
04-18-2005, 05:09 AM
I use regualr mobil 10w40 with STP oil filter. never had any major oil problems.

frankie89
04-18-2005, 05:51 AM
i run 3.8 qts of mobil 5w 30 for cold months and 10w 30 for hot.. with a can of engine restore in each change, and a fram filter. so far no problems..

87AccordsterLx
04-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Mobile 1 Synthetic 10w-30 and Mobile 1 filter in the Supra.

88tandx
04-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Just about 4qts of Mobil Synthetic 5w30(fall/winter) and 10w30(spring summer). as far as the filter, i used fram the first time i changed the oil in my first sedan after my uncle gave it to me. he had always used honda filters. i used a fram filter and in about a week my oil was black and i had an oil spot on my driveway. i used the Pure One filter and the leaks went away but the oil was still a lil grungy after only about 2k miles but the engine did have 200k miles on it so i juss figured that wouldnt change with the honda filter. With the new coupe, i changed the oil as soon as i got it and flushed it cuz it didnt look like synthetic oil had been used and i used 10w30 and a honda filter and its been 1500 miles since the change and the oil is as clear as the day i put it in. i did notice some leaks around the head gasket and that definetly could have something to do with the fact that it was a mineral oil used before i got the car so we'll change those and find out. good topic.

BDaccordguy
04-20-2005, 08:54 AM
I used 10w30 Valvoline High Mileage in the 3g, and will soon be with the Beretta when I get around to doing my own oil changes.