PDA

View Full Version : *attention Administrators*

Coy
04-16-2005, 09:54 AM
i received an email in my bulk mail folder from "administration@ 3geez.com" which is the mail service here (most of everyone knows this) entitled "Do you?" with an attached file. upon attempting to veiw the file, i was warned that there was a virus in it. luckily i never download them to my computer i let yahoo scan them and veiw it from there.

where did this really come from and what the hell is the deal???

RobbyKlotz
04-16-2005, 09:58 AM
More than likely it was a spoofed address. You have to watch stuff like that. I have been getting emails from a bakn wanting me to go to their website and login and update my information. It's a bank in like SoCal, and I am in KY. Its called Phising, just an attempt to steal your information.

MrBen
04-16-2005, 10:03 AM
"'Address faking' worms do the following:

a PC gets infected with an 'address faking' virus/worm, such as 'SoBig', by someone opening an infected attachment.
that PC then (silently) sends out large numbers of emails with the virus/worm in an attachment to addresses from the owners address book:
if you get an infected email - the anti-virus system of your email provider (or your own PC) may detect this and notify you - this is good news - you are NOT infected.
but IMPORTANTLY, the virus/worm fakes the 'senders address' (also using addresses found on the PC - again, your address could be used) - so you can NOT tell who sent it.
the infected emails are then discovered by a person (or an automatic anti-virus system) and an email is sent back to the (faked) senders email address (which could be you).
when the infected emails go out - some of them go to non-existent email addresses and get returned by the system to THE WRONG EMAIL address - they get automatically returned to the fake address (which could be you).
when the infected emails go out - some of them could land in the inbox of someone who has 'Out of Office' switched on which will send back an email to the fake address (again this could be you). "

3geez would never send out a virus, ever!

Coy
04-16-2005, 10:15 AM
figured it wasnt really from here, just kinda spooked me a bit. i know i dont have any ememies on this site, cause i dont post here as much as the local forums.....

the only thing i could think of was to make a post about it just in case something odd was goin on here.

MrBen
04-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for letting us know! I'll let Joe (site director) know about it so he's aware of it.

87accordlxi
04-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks for letting us know. We no longer use the address "[email protected]." In fact, it doesn't even exist anymore. I changed that a couple months ago, so we did not send out that email, nor did we open a virus that sent itself out. FYI, the new address begins with "staff" rather than "administration." The "administration" address was probably phished from the board by a bot and that's why they're using it. That happens periodically, and is the reason why I've changed the official admin email address a number of times in the past.

Coy
04-16-2005, 02:21 PM
yeah, i noticed that too.

my email addy isnt even listed here as the one i got the email at. its no big deal just lettin anyone know just in case.