PDA

View Full Version : New intake...Now the big question...

89bumblethumper
08-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Aight...as i was installing my new 92 civic mod intake in my car i was messing around with the filter....

Why not just put the filter RIGHT onto the intake...instead of the metal piping????

Could be cheaper and even give a little more power, right??? cause it would be closer to the intake???

Any ideas???

pimp86LX
08-06-2002, 07:50 PM
i think you need that distance but i'm not sure

TeKKnoTeKK
08-06-2002, 08:55 PM
point is anything that is under the hood will pretty much have the same effect, your engine will be sucking in hot air. IMO if you go that route you might as well keep the stock setup because even it manages to get somewhat cold air. only way it will really do any good is if you have a cold air intake and the filter is somewhere NOT under the hood, in the wheel well for example. Hope this clears things up some.

89bumblethumper
08-06-2002, 08:58 PM
yeah...i already installed the short ram...i was just seeing if it really mattered...

thanks for all the input...i hope to one day modify the AEM Short ram to a Cold air...by getting all the other 2.25 tubing and connecting it with rubber tubes. but i need to do a battery re-location...

jjlj86
08-06-2002, 09:16 PM
if i rigged pipping for my 86 accord (carb) would cold air intake help with my performance.

dXsquared
08-06-2002, 09:20 PM
yes it would
you can also think about a hood scoop. to do the cold air thing, just take the hose off ur air box and run the tube in the same spot and then cut a bigger hole in the wheel whell. it will increase performance alot more if u remove the air filter and put a screen over the carb opening.
Travis

pimp86LX
08-07-2002, 02:00 AM
the carb housing is just as wide as a tube would be. Is it just the location of the air filter that makes the difference?