PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust System Advice

86a2oa1
04-16-2005, 09:58 PM
i have a 86 accord :bowrofl: carbed, so far igot a flipped lid , msd 6a, and aftermarket tach. I was wondering does removing the vacum do any difference? also i was thinking a straight through exhaust no cat into a carbon fiber muffler with a silencer :) tell me what u think

w00tw00t111
04-16-2005, 11:06 PM
I was thinking of doing the straight cat too. Have the bolts connect to the entrance and exit pipe part and just get a piece of steel tubing with the right brackets to connect to the entrance and exit part of the pipe. That way when inspection time comes you just remove the bolts and put the cat back in.
In regards to the silencer I would say don't add it. As far as I have read silencer, bends, or anything that restricts air flow makes you lose ponies. In this case the silencer should be reducing the amount of air coming out of the pipe. From what I know about gun silencers this is done by slowing down the emitted air from the speed of the bullet. This I would assume would translate into backpressure in a car situation. That should make you lose horses. Just my opinon.

88accordalltheway
04-16-2005, 11:15 PM
In regards to the silencer I would say don't add it. As far as I have read silencer, bends, or anything that restricts air flow makes you lose ponies. In this case the silencer should be reducing the amount of air coming out of the pipe. From what I know about gun silencers this is done by slowing down the emitted air from the speed of the bullet. This I would assume would translate into backpressure in a car situation. That should make you lose horses. Just my opinon.
this kind of thinking is incorrect. In fact, with our small engines, we need back pressure or else we will lose power. We dont have big ass v8s that need to get rid of exaust asap. Use the SEARCH to look into it further if you have any more questions.

86a2oa1
04-17-2005, 08:56 AM
yeah the silencer would help keep the car quiet since there will be no cat :lol: but any one know if the vaccum removal will help out some?

Justin86
04-17-2005, 09:31 AM
yea there is a how-to on the removal and it does help, but you won't pass emissions anymore. The exhaust is a tricky thing to prefect. Having very little back pressure will help the top end but loose low end torque. The key is to start with the right header and go from there.

Vanilla Sky
04-17-2005, 01:05 PM
i always though you needed scavaging, not backpressure...

Justin86
04-17-2005, 03:57 PM
i always though you needed scavaging, not backpressure...

thats why you need a good header, exhaust piping is just a way of moving the gases to the rear of the car.

w00tw00t111
04-17-2005, 08:24 PM
So... backpressure can help low end. Never knew. My accord hauls like a mother after 4grand but from 1to about 3000rpm it sucks.