PDA

View Full Version : not sure about the trans cooler lines ?

bkcorso
04-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Hello, I've got the engine/trans in and everything is going good, hope to fire it up in a few hours.

However, I did not mark the trans cooler lines, :uh: and don't want to hook them up wrong.

Could someone tell me if the line coming of the radiator from the drivers side goes to the upper / lower metal line on the trans ?

I have searched for a couple of hours and downloaded about 74mb of pauls info, but no luck. Thanks fellas

bkcorso
04-17-2005, 09:58 AM
I went ahead and guessed, doesn't matter anyway. Got everything done, and when I went to start it ..... nothing !! No clicking, not turning over. I searched the board and someone suggested to use a screw driver to jump from the starter to the solenoid. I did that and could hear the starter spinning, but didn't engage the flywheel. Maybe my solenoid is locked up ? I'll try and beat it a bit. I'm wondering why I started this Honda thing.

bkcorso
04-17-2005, 10:09 AM
I did some more checking but nothing, the fuel pump does come on when the key is in the start position, and I hear a click behind the dash, I'm guessing its a relay. I might have to yank out the starter. :mad:
It worked fine before I replaced the engine,

Any help is appreciated.

bkcorso
04-17-2005, 10:57 AM
I did some more reading in the chilton manual, and it refers to a ground strap on the transmission, I didn't see one while replacing the engine. the only ground strap that I could find was the one to the valve cover. I'll find a chunk of cable and run it from the frame to the tranny and see if that helps.

bkcorso
04-17-2005, 11:30 AM
The ground strap didn't work, I ran it from the tranny to the frame to the neg battery terminal, nothing. After that I yanked the starter, and used jumper cables to test, it will spin but the solenoid will not push the gear out ( to engage ) I don't know if this is the problem , because when I turned the key I got nothing ?

I noticed a small wire attaches to the starter, what is it for ? off to Autozone. I pray someone with some knowledge is there today !!!!

shepherd79
04-17-2005, 12:18 PM
ok, lets start with one problem and move from there.

1. check all the fuses under the hood and under the dash.

2. make sure you have all the wires connected to the starter. make sure you have little wire connected to the starter. if the starter sprins but does not turn the engine, you need to replace the starter.

3. if you got the motor turning but it won't fire up. make sure the fuel pump is working. make sure it turns on when you turn the key. if it doesn't, remove the relay and resolder the connectors or replace it with a new one or with a working one.

bkcorso
04-17-2005, 12:35 PM
shep, Checker auto tested the starter, it's good. When I turn the key to the on position I can hear the fuel pump prime, and when I go to start I hear a click, and then the fuel pump, nothing from the starter... nothing.

They told me to check for voltage on the small wire, they said that is what gets things going, and it's connect to the neutral safety switch. I did try it in park and nuetral nothing, all fuses are good.

I had to of gotten something wrong putting the engine back in, but what ? I'm leaning towards the nuetral safety switch route, is there an easy way to bypass this to test ? I'll do a search to see if it has been asked before.

Electrical problems have been my weak point though. gotta love it !!!

bkcorso
04-17-2005, 01:04 PM
I Think I Got It !!!! :birthday: Pulling the neutral safety switch off I realized the bar from the shifter wasn't in the plastic slider, It was in d1 !!!! I'll get the starter back in and see.

shepherd79
04-17-2005, 01:17 PM
cool, yeah man, keep us updated.

bkcorso
04-17-2005, 02:08 PM
IT'S ALIVE !!! 4 hours later. It was the nuetral safety switch. I had removed way to much on the shifter, and never realized it slipped out of the plastic slider, got that fixed and it fired right up !!

It's been about 8 years since I turned a wrench, and I was starting to get worried.
I still need to figure out the trans cooler lines, so if someone could take a look for me.

I did bust the speedometer thing that goes into the tanny. I wasn't seated all the way when I went to tighten it down, the tab busted off !!!

Another Honda raised from the dead.(for now) :rockon:

Thanks Shep, and to all who make this board possible. Hopefully soon I can return the help to others.

Gemini2003
01-16-2008, 08:19 PM
OMG Thank you for this thread... I did the tranny on my car and it wouldn't start up... I read this thead and now I'm good to go!

THANK YOU