PDA

View Full Version : Very stiff shifter (5-speed Civic)

TJ89Accord
04-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey, I know it's not an Accord, but I have a 92 Civic DX 5 speed. Over the last few months the shifter has been getting very stiff. It takes a lot more effort than it should to shift the gears, and it's getting annoying. I drained the transmission and put new oil in it, and even some Lucas treatment stuff, no difference.

The car has almost 190,000 miles on it too.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!

tim

AccordEpicenter
04-17-2005, 09:09 PM
loosen up the shifter bushing... just back out the bolt that is on the end of the shifter under the car like 2 turns

TJ89Accord
04-18-2005, 09:42 AM
OK thanks Ill have to check that out. Ill update after I try it. Anyone else have ideas?

thanks

tim

mouchyn
04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
what lucas stuff did you use. their synchromesh additive stuff will kill your honda transmission in a matter of months. drain all that crap out of there ASAP.

you should only be using genuine honda MTF in your transmission. It's not any more expensive than regular oil (especially since you put in that lucas crap). No question about it, the honda fluid is the best option for any honda transmission that's daily driven. All other products will wear out the parts faster and cause more problems.

it could be just about time for a transmission rebuild. are you grinding any of the gears? what kind of condition is your clutch in? why didn't you go to a civic forum? there's only 293478239405 different ones to choose from...

TJ89Accord
04-18-2005, 10:19 AM
I did post on a Civic forum also, I figured that the more message boards I post on, the more help I could get. And most of the Civic forums all people talk about is their intakes...

I used the Lucas stuff called oil stabalizer, with 10 w 30 oil. I didn't use oil to be cheap, I used it because that is what it said to use in the Honda Owners Manual.

thanks

tim

TJ89Accord
04-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I just sprayed some WD-40 on it just to see if that helps. I'm gonna have to wait till tomorrow to try to loosen up the bolt.

It was weird though, because it got still all of a sudden, then it went back to normal, then back to stiff again. I was hoping it would go back to normal again but it hasn't. Maybe that bolt got tight, then loose, then tight again???

tim

mouchyn
04-18-2005, 03:04 PM
WD-40 won't lubricate that stuff very long. WD-40 is designed to dry. you'll need to use a real spray lubricant of some kind.

you didn't use synthetic oil in the tranny did you? the oil stabilizer isn't as bad as the synchromesh additive, but it still doesn't belong in the transmission. even if it clears up the symptoms for a while, it's doing major harm to the tranny and will come back ten fold.

AccordEpicenter
04-18-2005, 04:07 PM
full synthetics shoudnt be used in gearboxes. You can use gm syncromesh fluid, thats acceptable, but stick to honda MTF or 10w30 dino oil for most cases. And wd 40 is a corrosion inhibitor, it sucks ass as a penetrating lubricant, PBlaster is much better

TJ89Accord
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
OK quick update. I didn't use synthetic oil in the tranny, Ill go to Honda and pick up some Honda MTF tomorrow. It is shifting MUCH better after spraying it. However, it is making a kind of squeak when shifting.

You think I should use PB Blaster on it instead? Or a different kinda lube?

Thanks

tim

mouchyn
04-18-2005, 05:14 PM
yeah, if it's squeaking. it's squeaking because the WD40 cleaned the parts it touched and dried. now the rubber is rubbing against the metal and squeaking.

TJ89Accord
04-18-2005, 05:20 PM
So you think I should use some PB Blaster? Or is there somthing better to use?

AccordEpicenter
04-18-2005, 05:45 PM
i think you need to replace the shifter bushing... its a 5 dollar kit

TJ89Accord
04-18-2005, 05:49 PM
i think you need to replace the shifter bushing... its a 5 dollar kit

Sounds like a better idea lol. I've never messed around with the shifter stuff. Probably gotta get that at Honda huh... Ill have to check it all out. Thanks for all the help though!

tim

mouchyn
04-18-2005, 06:35 PM
for stuff like that, there is white lithium spray lubricant, spray graphite powder, etc. a quick stroll down that aisle at your local hardware store would help, too. read the labels, they'll tell you what they're used for specifically, how long it lasts, etc.

md21722
04-19-2005, 09:20 AM
in my car adjusting the clutch cable would change how easy it was to shift into gear.

TJ89Accord
04-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Yah, the Civic has hydrolic clutch though. It is much easier to shift now, I sprayed it with some Lithium grease too. The guy at the Honda dealer had no idea what bushings I would need. So I didn't bother getting any. I got some Honda MTF too, and will be changing it this weekend probably.

tim

diegoaccord
04-19-2005, 11:34 AM
If it fucks up, it's D series tranny, you can replace it for pocket change. EX/Si trannies have a premium, but that's about it. DX tranny = $20.

FyreDaug
04-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Seriously 20 bucks? lol.

mouchyn
04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
around here, they're pretty much free if you'll pick them up. Hell, you can buy d powered civics around here for less than $300. the whole car.