PDA

View Full Version : Important Maintanece

pimp86LX
08-06-2002, 08:42 PM
ok...well my car is about ready to be saftey'd and drivin, but what sort of things should i do if its been sitting for a bout a year

I'm thinking;

-Belts
-All Fluids (CC, tranny, rad flush)
-New plugs (wires cap and rotar were new when it got parked)

thats all i can think of....all suspension, brakes etc are fine

shepherd79
08-07-2002, 03:13 AM
well first of all, does it starts?
i would run for a while to mix the dirt and everything, than i would drain everything.

pimp86LX
08-07-2002, 04:05 AM
man...this engine is MINT. 186,000km

i just put an intermediate and muffler on and its SO QUIET

the fast idle and all vacum is fine. its got the same power as if it were new..if i didnt know i'd be hard pressed to 'feel' that its carb'd. ie)no throttle response delay

but it had been sitting from jan to june so i was a little worried about routine maintanence and stuff

shepherd79
08-07-2002, 08:50 AM
i don't think it would matter.
start it up. the only problem i would be consern is the water in the fuel tank. after a long period of time they will separate but there are stuff you can putt in the tank to get rind of the water.

dXsquared
08-07-2002, 08:56 AM
why did you put a quiet muffler on it? you loose hp, it dont sound good, and it costs more than a performance muffler(dynomax, cherry bomb, etc...) i was just wonderin if you knew about these things and why not a performance tone?
Travis

MoonScryer
08-07-2002, 09:21 AM
Some of is don't want to sound like an angry bee, and have noise ordinace where we live.

1989 DX R
08-07-2002, 09:31 AM
Check your cooling system. Sometimes parts can get sediment in them if your car has been sitting, like the radiator and water pump.

pimp86LX
08-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
why did you put a quiet muffler on it? you loose hp, it dont sound good, and it costs more than a performance muffler(dynomax, cherry bomb, etc...) i was just wonderin if you knew about these things and why not a performance tone?
Travis

lol if your performance muffler was less than $20CAN i'd buy it, cause thats what the oem cost new

also..then gas tank is fine..the engine has been run many times since i've had it, i was just wondering what i could do before i start putting on the miles. I think i'm gunna do a rad flush for sure, and i might get an alignment. I think i'm just over worried cause i'll be putting 200+miles/week on it