PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using an Alpine CD changer w/a stock HU?

Blaaz
04-18-2005, 03:06 PM
I know you can connect an Alpine 6 disk cd changer (CHM series) to the newer (1993-97) Accord HU, or even the MP3 changer (CHA-S634). I was wondering if anyone has done this? How do you like the results?

TheWatcher
04-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't have an Alpine, but if you connect to a CD changer, and it's not through a proprietary connection from the manufacturer, than it's done via an RF modulator to the FM receiver. Therefore, the sound quality is degraded. I believe FM cuts off at 16 Khz. I don't know how discerning your ears are, if you can't tell the difference between a CD and FM, then go for it. Some people who are vets can't hear something that high (I had an electronics teacher who couldn't hear a test tone, he thought we were joking when we all heard it). Otherwise, get a HU w/ a CD changer if you want quality sound (of course, upgrade the stock speakers please!).

BTW, get the mp3 changer, that way if someone jacks your ride you only lose a dozen or so cdrs, NOT your expensive 20-50 CDs.

Hope this helps. If you're short on cash, sell some CDs.

Peace.

Blaaz
04-19-2005, 07:16 AM
You can connect a newer Honda (or Acura) HU directly to a CD changer using an adapter that swaps two of the wires. They are made by Blitzsafe or PIE. Another adapter will allow connection to Alpine AI net instead of M bus. The changer will plug into the DIN plug and be controlled by HU buttons.

I was just wondering if anyone on the board has done this yet and how it sounds.

Busted_Blue
04-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Newer Honda OEM headunits are made by alpine. Those that have cd changer controls on the unit can plug n play alpine cd changers. I don't know about the MP3 units working with any of the older units but I'm sure that CD changer ready Headunits from Honda can plug and play alpine units. I'll look it up at work to see which years, the headunits are made by alpine.

colo88lxi
04-19-2005, 09:45 PM
I installed an Alpine CHM-S630 in the 1997 Acura 2.2cl I use to own and it sounded and worked great. Since the head unit would skip constantly, the CD changer was a great way to play cd's with out having to tear up the dash. The alpine never skipped, even over rough roads and rail road crossings.