PDA

View Full Version : Removing spark plugs

Ruggy23
04-20-2005, 11:14 AM
I don't think there was enough, or possibly any, anti-ceaze (sp) put on the plugs when they were installed about 25K miles ago. Now they are VERY VERY tight and won't back out. I turned one of them about a half to full turn and it won't break loose.

Any tips on how to remove stuck plugs? Is it better to try this when the engine is cold, warm or normal operating temperature?

RUGGY23
EDIT: .......oops. I probably should have used the "How To" Forum.

86LXItooFAST4me
04-20-2005, 11:44 AM
you can try working them back and forth, i would spray some lubricant on them as well. just dont force them to hard. ive even used and impact wrech on a low setting one time with some PB blaster and that worked great.

but just lossen as far as you can go, then tighten. then lossen it again a little farther like a 1/4-1/2 turn and then tighten. repeat this and it should come out. but like i said, dont force it to hard or you will be in for a big head ack getting the broken thread out of the head.

AZmike
04-20-2005, 11:50 AM
It will be easiest with the head cold. The aluminum cylinder head expands faster than the steel plug as the temperature increases.