PDA

View Full Version : Door Poppers

w00tw00t111
04-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Hey guys,
I just got my tint and alarm installed. I had bought two heavy duty solenoids with cables. The alarm guy said that he could install them for $100. Alot of money for me. It's supposed to be a really install. Just replace the automatic door unlocker solenoid with the heavy duty one with a stronger cable. He said this is what makes the door pop. I was thinking why not get rid of the solenoid kit I bought and buy door poppers. The question I have is how do you install the door poppers? This is what I'm talking about link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969581829&category=6763)
From what it looks like I can't see any where where there would be wire leads. So how does this work in conjunction with the auto door locks?

EricW
04-20-2005, 06:42 PM
I have never actualy seen one installed but i believe they have to be mounted in/on the frame ( which will require drilling a hole) of the car usually somewhere near the latch so when you unlock the door they push it open. But I am sure somone else propably will have a pic.

2drSE-i
04-20-2005, 07:11 PM
when messing around with stuff like that, id go ahead and spring for the big money........100 bucks for solenoids isnt that bad, and that "door popper" thing on ebay doesnt look credible AT ALL

w00tw00t111
04-20-2005, 08:50 PM
That's just the first thing I found. Summit sells the same thing and market it toward people who do not want buy a solenoid but, have auto door locks. I just don't wanna remove my door panel. Last time I tried I got all the screws out but, when I used my window puller tool (thing to remove the crank handle) I ripped the vinyl cause I couldn't find the opening of the clip to slip it on to. Any help on this?
The sooner I get that done the sooner I shave a my handles, then paint. w00tw00t!!!

danronian
04-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Handles are easy to remove. I always just use a butter knife with a bend at the end.

sofaking_bob
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
when messing around with stuff like that, id go ahead and spring for the big money........100 bucks for solenoids isnt that bad, and that "door popper" thing on ebay doesnt look credible AT ALL

totally agree.. also, a 45lb solenoid would last for probably no more than a year if it's your daily driver.. you'd need something like a 100lb. if you're getting your handles shaved.. you might want to have it done right, otherwise you'll be breaking a lot of glass and wishing that you had done it right.

superguillermo
04-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Yo! That door popper on ebay is spring loaded...when you close your door the spring compresses. Once the solenoid is activated...the door handle opens and voila! the door opens. What kind of alarm did you get installed?

w00tw00t111
04-28-2005, 04:35 PM
The brand is X-shield. Some chinese off-brand. It's been working great though. I love the remote start and the lcd two way remote. So are you saying that now that I have the electric door openers not the strong solenoids but just enough pull to pull the locking mechanism I can just use the spring loaded door popper? Or do I have to have the strong solenoid and the spring for it to work?

TheWatcher
04-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Before you get the doors shaved and get a solenoid to open the doors, make sure that they are LEGAL. In the 808, shaved door handles are not legal. I have no idea why, although I have heard someone mention that they can't open your doors if you are in an accident. Anyway, if I shaved my doors the cops would ticket me, send me to court, and then make me take them off (making all the work to shave the doors kind of a waste).

I don't know where you're at w00tw00t111, but just thought I'd give you the 411.

Peace.

superguillermo
04-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Good to hear that its working great. You need strong enough solenoids to pull the door open, or in a way pull the handle up. Yes, all you need beside the solenoids are the door poppers. Have fun with it!

sofaking_bob
05-01-2005, 07:29 PM
stronger is better.. and will last longer.. as far as being legal or not.. i've got no idea.. but.. that seems kinda dumb. if you're in an accident and the door gets crushed in.. they use the infamous "jaws of life"... or they'd break the glass. but like whoever said.. have fun with it. i'm doing mine as time and fundage allows.