PDA

View Full Version : Eibach / Bilstein combo

w261w261
04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Last year, I ordered and installed a set of Eibach springs (1" drop), and Bilstein struts/shocks. At the time, I didn't know this site existed, or I would have read that the Bilsteins needed to be revalved to cope with the progressive and firmer Eibachs. I put in all new bushings while I was at it. The first bump I hit was, like "What the hell is this? Where is my rebound damping?" But it was too late. It wasn't terrifically bad, but definitely a letdown. It felt like I had worn shocks, but it was just that the Bilsteins were overpowered by the forces exerted by the new springs.

It took me 6 months to order up a new pair of Bilsteins from Shox.com, which is right down the street from the Bilstein corp. It still took almost a month to get the new struts revalved to 100 compression, 300 rebound (I'm redoing just the fronts at first, maybe I can live with the rears). The struts were $93 each + $75 ea for revalving, so my earlier mistake has a price tag of $350 so far. Still to come is the install cost, which will probably be $100 per corner. Since my rotors are warped a little, I'm also having Brembos installed at the same time, so the labor can get spread around a little.

The place that is doing the work is accomodating me (I have other cars and they get the tire sales and brake work), but I can tell they're not extremely happy about putting on someone else's parts. I called today for an appointment, and they (nicely) said "call us next week and we'll see," as opposed to "ok, here's an appointment in 2 weeks." But they're good and won't screw up, so I'll live with the attitude.

I have high hopes that this will end things, e.g. the right spring/strut combo. But my experience is an argument for adjustable struts. If I had them, I could just make them a little firmer and be done with it. As it stands, my original error is costing $600 or so for another try. This is one of those times when you just say "I love my car," because the money going in will never come back out.

Finally, in hopefully 3 weeks or so I'll have a surplus pair of pretty new Bilstein struts. I don't think they've been damaged or blown by being on the Eibachs, as the car is reasonably well-controlled. If anyone here wants them in conjuction with Eibach springs or any other springs, they're going to be available. I think they will have to go back to Bilstein for revalving however, so you can count on that $150 charge. I assume they'd be fine on the stock springs, but that's the thing....you don't really know unless someone else has been there first with the exact spring/strut combo you want. And the price for being wrong is high in both aggravation and $$.

Busted_Blue
04-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Good for you! Revalved bilstiens is the way to go.

w261w261
05-04-2005, 07:32 AM
To finish this off, I today picked up my Se-i with the following work done:

Replaced the Bilsteins which I put on last year with others of the same model, but revalved to 100 compression, 300 rebound. This cost $75 per strut, added to the purchase price of $93 per strut. The car finally drives right. If I were to do it over, I might even go up a little bit more, maybe to 110/330, but the 100/300 is good too, not too hard at all. Even after my seat mods, I still find the stock seats to be too springy, but because they're leather and I like the look, I'm leaving them. So be it.

I also replaced all the rotors with Brembo's. One rear caliper was frozen, so maybe that's why I warped the front rotors...the lack of rear braking might have shifted more work to the front.

I needed a front upper control arm / ball joint.

I live in an expensive area (Fairfield County CT), and the shop I use is not cheap, but they are good.

Here's the bill (an incentive to do it yourself I guess...I can't):

rear calipers $ 400
front control arm and kit: $ 115
shop supplies $ 15
labor:
install caliper 60
install frnt & rear Brembo's 200
install front struts 200
install control arm/bushing 100
align (4 whl) 80
balance 2 whls 22

Total damage: 1,411.92 w/ tax.

I now have 2 surplus Bilsteins (B36-1135, B36-1136) which are almost new. They aren't blown, as I said they just need to be revalved before install. Anyone interested in buying them, make me an offer before I throw them on eBay.

thx

Hal

SteveDX89
05-04-2005, 08:23 AM
You don't need to revalve the rear struts. Eibach rear springs are softer than stock.

w261w261
05-04-2005, 02:40 PM
yeah, the rears are fine, I didn't modify the Bilsteins I put there. But after putting about 100 miles on the car today, if I had it to do over, I would definitely get the fronts revalved to more than 100/300. It's hard for me to pick a number, because I don't know what the original settings were. But would say that the revalve took care of 95% of the underdamping problem. If you hit a bump, the shocks ought to compress, then rebound, then go back to level. Mine still have an additional small oscillation, not noticeable to anyone except me, but aggravating in a minor sort of way.

A20A3inside
05-05-2005, 07:07 AM
hey man, for that upper front ball joint...you need the whole control arm. hey are only like 30 or 40 some bucks if i remember right......i just replaced both of mine. and it was a world of difference. that is maybe where your warpped rotor came from. and did you do a 4 wheel disc conversion? if so, what did that run you and how long did it take them? i am looking for the same to get done on my ride...good luck with all that

w261w261
05-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I have factory disc brakes, as I have an Se-i.