PDA

View Full Version : Top Dead Center

biggene
04-22-2005, 05:04 AM
Ok so I have determined that I moved the crank from TDC when changing my timing belt. So how do I get it back on TDC? Do I need to try and bring it up using the pistons (by removing the plug and listening for the intake/exhaust stroke) or is there a different way to find TDC again?

TIA for everyones help.

SteveDX89
04-22-2005, 05:30 AM
This isn't the most accurate way to do it but you will get very close. Take out the spark plug in the #1 cylinder. Turn the crank with a ratchet. It will be very hard when pistons 2 & 3 are coming up. When #1 is coming up, it will be much easier and will most likely come up to the top by itself after a slight turn. You may have to adjust slightly to get the teeth to line up.

Another way is to take the pulley off the crank. On the timing belt gear, there should be a mark and there should be a mark on the block. If you line those 2 marks up, you're at TDC.

biggene
04-22-2005, 05:40 AM
Another way is to take the pulley off the crank. On the timing belt gear, there should be a mark and there should be a mark on the block. If you line those 2 marks up, you're at TDC.

And then I just line up the 2 marks on the cam pulley with the head and I should be in time all the way around correct?

smufguy
04-22-2005, 06:09 AM
well what does the shop manual say? I dont have the access to the electronic one as of now and i forgot how it was done. Why dont u follow that?

biggene
04-22-2005, 06:52 AM
I looked at the engine section of the shop manual I downloaded and it doesnt specifically say how to get TDC back, But I will try lining up the pulley and the mark on the block this weekend and see if this works. It does specify that the timing marks on the cam pulley need to be lined up with the head though

Biggene

SteveDX89
04-22-2005, 08:20 AM
And then I just line up the 2 marks on the cam pulley with the head and I should be in time all the way around correct?

Yes, that's correct. You may have to move one or the other just a bit to get the teeth fully into the grooves but that won't foul up the timing.

88Accord-DX
04-22-2005, 09:01 AM
If you turned the crank and your off on the timing. Finding TDC would be letting #1 piston come to the top of it's compression stroke by turning the crank, not lining the cam pulley up. Line up the cam-shaft spocket/pulley mark after you made sure that your at TDC on #1 cylinder.

SteveDX89
04-22-2005, 09:20 AM
If you turned the crank and your off on the timing. Finding TDC would be letting #1 piston come to the top of it's compression stroke by turning the crank, not lining the cam pulley up. Line up the cam-shaft spocket/pulley mark after you made sure that your at TDC on #1 cylinder.

Compression or exhaust stroke is determined by the cam. The piston goes up or down, that's all. If he puts the crank at TDC and has the timing belt off, he can turn the cam gear separately to get the cam at the right spot.

88Accord-DX
04-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Compression or exhaust stroke is determined by the cam. The piston goes up or down, that's all. If he puts the crank at TDC and has the timing belt off, he can turn the cam gear separately to get the cam at the right spot.
Right, I was pointing out that he needs to get the crank lined up before he lines up the cam spocket. Turn the distributor a little too if it's off.

Basically, the piston needed to be at the top. (point I was making)

SteveDX89
04-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Right, I was pointing out that he needs to get the crank lined up before he lines up the cam spocket.

Werd.

BTW, if you've got the belt off and want to turn the crank, make sure all the plugs are out or it's not gonna budge.

mouchyn
04-22-2005, 10:13 AM
my flywheel has timing marks on it. that little hole you use to set ignition timing will also allow you to set TDC. you just align the TDC mark with the little pointer and you're set.

88Accord-DX
04-22-2005, 10:24 AM
you just align the TDC mark with the little pointer and you're set.

There you GO! Then align the cam sprocket.

biggene
04-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Excellent advie

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Hopefully I will be sporting the accord again on Monday :rockon:

88Accord-DX
04-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Here is a tip.
After you get TDC on the crank...."If" you can get to the belt tensioner from the top. You can take the belt off the cam spocket & then hold the belt up tight on the crank sprocket, don't let is slip down off the sprocket. While your doing that, move the cam sprocket (mark) to 12:00 postition. Put the belt back on.
That will save you from pulling the crankshaft pulley off.

Robs89LXi
04-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Take the number one spark plug out. Insert a 12" piece of wire into the plug hole so it rests on the top of the piston. Turn the crank slowly and watch the wire. When it stops rising, you are at TDC on that piston.

biggene
04-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Followed all of the advice above and as of Monday I am sporting the 'cord again and loving it.

Thanks for everyones help
Preciate it

Gene

:bowrofl:

petes_86lxi
10-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Hey, I've got the same problem on my 86 LXI. I had the head redone, and it's now at TDC. The crank, is not. I've removed the crank pulley, and am not clear on what the marks should look like both on the crank sprocket and the block. Can somebody please explain how they look, or post a pic? Thanks alot.

89T
10-14-2006, 06:38 PM
put everything back on...
look durectly under the dizzy there is a window on the bell housing of the tranny.
get a flashlight shine in the hole.
you'll see a pointer on the engine side of the flywheel.
get a friend to help you out, pull the plugs out and put a ratchet on the crank pully bolt turn counter clockwise real slow.
you should see the timing degree marks first, then you will see a mark that say's TDC or TC.alighn that with the pointer, and your done.

before you put on the timing belt make sure the up mark on the cam gear is at 12:00 with the head. I.E. in line with the valve cover bolts..

Some Guy
10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
I love this forum. I think I might be joining you guys soon...... I hope.

MessyHonda
10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
I love this forum. I think I might be joining you guys soon...... I hope.

:welcome: you have already joined since you have 1 post...lol

Some Guy
10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
good point

I found that hole under the dizzy. But I cant find any TDC or TC.alighn in there. All I see is a yellow line with what looks like 24 next to it, And a big white +. Im new to this, so I need help

89T
10-18-2006, 11:43 AM
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6527/pointerco9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Some Guy
10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
thats the hole Im looking in. Point it at the white + mark right?

Ichiban
10-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Stick your finger in and wipe the shit off of the edge of the flywheel. You should see more marks, and then look in the "timing" section of your book. There is usually a "0" (TDC) mark and a (or several) before TDC marks. You know what to do.

89T
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
there should be a 15 with 2 lines before and after..those are you'r degree marks +2 and -2. turn the crank past them then you'll find the tdc mark.

petes_86lxi
10-22-2006, 07:05 AM
put everything back on...
look durectly under the dizzy there is a window on the bell housing of the tranny.
get a flashlight shine in the hole.
you'll see a pointer on the engine side of the flywheel.
get a friend to help you out, pull the plugs out and put a ratchet on the crank pully bolt turn counter clockwise real slow.
you should see the timing degree marks first, then you will see a mark that say's TDC or TC.alighn that with the pointer, and your done.
before you put on the timing belt make sure the up mark on the cam gear is at 12:00 with the head. I.E. in line with the valve cover bolts..

Thanks. My cylinder head is off, and I don't see the window. Is this from the top, or underneath?