PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting

LXi87Accord
04-22-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm having a weird starting problem. Some times it starts right up other times it takes 20 seconds to a minute. it does it both cold and warmed up. Only thing I have been able to connect it is when i go to start it if the battery light does not come on with the other lights it will start right up, if it does come on it has a hard time starting and it cranks just fine.. Any ideas would help. thanks

shepherd79
04-23-2005, 06:53 AM
remove the main relay and resolder the connections. the main relay is cause of the problems in most cases.

mouchyn
05-01-2005, 01:06 PM
agreed

LXi87Accord
05-15-2005, 04:21 AM
I'm having a weird starting problem. Some times it starts right up other times it takes 20 seconds to a minute. it does it both cold and warmed up. Only thing I have been able to connect it is when i go to start it if the battery light does not come on with the other lights it will start right up, if it does come on it has a hard time starting and it cranks just fine.. Any ideas would help. thanks

Did that but it still does it, the bat light coming onand stuff was a lose bulb, I'm thinking it could be the fuel reg.

mouchyn
05-15-2005, 04:32 AM
if you resoldered the connections inside the main relay, and you're still having starting problems, the relay is almost dead.

go grab one from honda or a junk yard.

just to be sure we're on the same page, the "main relay" is that bugger of a relay bolted up above the change tray on the side wall. It's a few inches long by an inch or two wide.

Autowiz
05-20-2005, 04:10 PM
check for pcm codes first. it's a very simple process. sometimes, if, for example, a coolant temp. sensor, gets shorted to ground, the pcm will always run in "closed loop" wich is considerably leaner than open loped richness. see, when a motor is cold, it needs more gas to start and run, than when it's warm. but, that is only one example. if your egr valve is stuck open, or a faulty tps sensor, could very well also cause this problem. but auto manuf.'s are smart, your pcm runs it's own diagnostics, and when it finds a problem, it stores a code. you might find some luck in this department. if not, i'd agree with replacing the main relay, if still no luck, i'd check all my ground connections for the pcm.