PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this set-up..

Acid X
04-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Alright, i finally got my 88 accord lxi. Now, i need opinions on the following things:

Deck:
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1553766/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046/sret/12192202192222112102812202232822132302152862172222 29290221224225296227242239232235240233240241242247

Speakers:
http://www.cbrstereo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=222
(Two sets)

Anything bad about these products? I'm not looking for a lot of "thump" really.. I listen to Hardcore, metal, etc.. But i would also like a good sound for my music, as well as my girlfriends.. She likes stuff like eminem and likes to listen to R&B and some rap..

Basically, i want something that will rumble at guitar lows, squeal at guitar highs, and "bump" a little with each drum hit.. If you guys know what i mean. I also want something that will be ABLE to "thump" just a tad (after an EQ change), in case of the girlfriends music.

So, will these do the job well?

If not, PLEASE recommend a deck with the ability to do the above, but it MUST have the following:

1. Price tag of less than or equal to about 165$
2. A good visual screen
3. Knob-style volume control

As for speakers, i want them to do the above qualities quite well, for no more than about 150$ for a two sets of four.

Please help me out guys!

3gn86lxi
04-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Seems like that would be o.k. I listen to the same kindof music in my car(with subs and amps) but Lamb of God sounded pretty good before I did all that. Just sounds alot better now. Actually Eminem hurts now......

Acid X
04-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Ah.. What kind of speakers do you have? If Lamb of God sounds great, i'm sure anything else would too.

TheWatcher
04-23-2005, 12:26 AM
If you don't intend to get amps, knock yourself out. If you want to get amps, or intend to upgrade to amps in the future, then you might want to rethink the HU. 2 V preamps kinda suck. For amps, get something with 5v preamps.

Peace.

Acid X
04-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Nah, i dont think i'll have any need for an amp.. Unless you can explain to me the benefits of having an amp? I'm not to clean on car audio.

TheWatcher
04-23-2005, 12:39 AM
If you don't already know why it's good to have an amp ... then you don't need an amp.

Peace.

Acid X
04-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Haha, i think the only uses i know of for amps are to make speakers/subs hit harder.

God, i'm such a noob..

halxi
04-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Peak Power Output: 50 Watts x 4

is my only concern, thats the wattage the built in amp to that headunit will put to each speaker, 50 watts.

Now, why it concerns me.

peak power handling 150 watts

Thats the power rating for the speakers, either updgrade your headunit (that would be my suggestions), downgrade your speakers, or buy a 400w(min)-600w(max) 4channel amp.

An amp will provide a cleaner sound a higher volume and it can make your speakers hit harder, but a better headunit with a more powerfull built in amp would be cheaper, but it wont sound as nice as an external amp would. There are definatly pros and cons to both, whatever you choose, good luck to ya.

Hope this helps.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-30-2005, 05:12 PM
If you don't already know why it's good to have an amp ... then you don't need an amp.

Peace.

Thats the dumbest comment i've heard in a while.

An amp will generate the proper amount of power for the speakers to operate better, ie: more control of the speakers, better sound output. Most people don't realize how big of a difference amping speakers makes.

But the watcher is right about the 2v pre-outs, thats fairly low, maybe something like a clarion deck, with 4v pre-outs would be better, and try to spend a bit more and get a good 4-channel amp.

AccordEpicenter
04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
ive had better sucess with low priced pioneer decks over clarion, although the high end clarion decks are pretty nice, as are pioneer and alpine. I like those speakers, if you got a clean 50wx4 amp (the internal amps on HUs are 22rmsx4 at BEST) or a 75x4 im sure youd love it

danronian
04-30-2005, 08:28 PM
If I were you I would look for a factory refurbished high-end HU on the net. I found one at sounddomain.com around jan-feb of this year that was originally $500+ new and got it for $140 refurbished and that HU is purely amazing compared to any I have used before. It has everything I could possibly want in HU and the price was better than the list price of the pioneer it replaced. The problem with infinity reference speakers is that they really nead an amp to sound clean (from what I hear at least) since they need 45w RMS, pretty much all HUs put out about 20-25wRMS and that pretty much means you won't be able to crank that speaker much at all w/o it distorting which in turn will kill the thing fast. I would recommend a speaker that is rated with the same input RMS as the headunit output RMS unless you are looking to get a HU with front and rear pre-amp outputs so that you can boost the input to the speaker to be the RMS it needs to function how it should.
Before buying anything audio for your car I would highly suggest reading through the FAQ links about car audio so that you know what your getting yourself into. I learned the hard way and bought cheap stuff at first before upgrading and eventually lost a whole bunch of money since I replaced all of the junk with higher end equiptment that will last a whole lot longer than the junk ever would have lasted. If you have limited cash and don't want to be having to buy twice, just do alot of research first and keep asking questions, hopefully someone will be more helpful and actually tell you what amps do instead of tell you that you don't want one or some crap like that.

danronian
04-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Oh yeah, brand wise I would suggest entry level (under $200 retail generally) Pioneer, and Alpine. That Pioneer looks like a pretty good deal.

Vanilla Sky
04-30-2005, 09:36 PM
to be honest, those speakers are what i recommend for low-power systems... why? good sensitivity... 92dB, 1 watt at one meter to be exact... not gonna find that anywhere else for that price and still have a speaker that's worth listening to...

you don't need more power for those speakers to work properly... you do need more power to get the most out of them, though...

and matching the RMS to the amp output is a bit asinine if you really think about it... what happens if he turns his volume up and encounters clipping? the extra headroom will most likely save his speakers form a horrible early death... just because a driver can handle that much power doesn't mean it needs that much power... look at adire brahma subwoofers... they can handle what, 2000 watts with ease, but adire themselves say 1200 is more than enough... just using that as a half-assed example... you don't need to give those speakers RMS power for them to sound good... i gurantee they will sound good even if they only got 10 watts RMS

Acid X
04-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Sweet. Thank you Vanilla.. I really cant afford an amp right now anyway. Im getting the system installed tomorrow.. The Pioneer DEH-P6700MP and the Infinity Reference speakers.

I appreciate all your input though, guys. If i find that i really don't like the sound that i get from the speakers without an amp, then i'll probably try to purchase one.. But not one thats too top of the line.