PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak

1987HondaAccord
04-23-2005, 01:03 AM
I was in the drive through for Carl's Jr tonight when i noticed a little smoke coming out from under my hood. As i was pondering what it might be I noticed the amount of smoke started to increase. I pulled into a spot and took a look under the hood. I soon noticed a small puddle forming under the car. I rolled back to see what it was, and it turned out to be green coolant. I think its coming below the intake near the oil filter. I also noticed some of the vacuum lines between the valve cover and throttle also appeared wet. The rear engine mount look wet, which is why i thought it was a leak on that side of the engine. the coolant that leaked into the puddle didn't seem hot.

my questions:

could it be a leak for the heater core? if so, would it stop leaking if i turned the heat down in the cabin?

What should I be looking for when I'm checking for a leak?

thanks in advance.

acranox
04-23-2005, 04:48 AM
Aside from the heater core, if your car is carbureted there is a coolant line that runs to the base of the car.
Just keep looking with a good light and it should be really obvious where the leak is. If it's just a heater hose, they are pretty simple to replace. 5/8" hose for the heater core, and 1/2" hose for the one that goes to the carb.

1987HondaAccord
04-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Do the EFi's have a line going to the intake manifold too? I'm not sure where all of these lines go. Thanks!

SHURIK
04-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Ur Intake Is Heated The Lines Heating Ur Intake The Lines Going Into Ur Intake Have Plastik Fitings If I Did An Oil Change Ang Broke The Fings The Line Was Hanig So I Blokt It Ant The Other Line And Had No Problems

BMS
04-23-2005, 08:53 PM
You could just pop the hood and let the car run for a while. After the fan kicks on once, turn the car off and it might bubble over again. Then you could just look in there and see where it's coming from.

88Accord-DX
04-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Well, make sure all your hoses are tightened up nice and snug.
You need a pressure test &/or vacuum test to see if the coolant system is working properly.
Look for leaks with a light mentioned to see what is going on. I know you don't have the equiptment to do a the test as I stated.

1987HondaAccord
04-24-2005, 11:20 PM
You could just pop the hood and let the car run for a while. After the fan kicks on once, turn the car off and it might bubble over again. Then you could just look in there and see where it's coming from.

yup. that works pretty well. it was kinda squirting out. It was a split line that was dripping onto the rear engine mount and splashing onto the header collector pipe. it split right next to where its attached, under the throttle. it looks like the line continues, and goes to a sensor on the back of the intake manifold. any idea what that's for? i'll take some pics to clarify what i'm talking about.

I bought some new tubing so i'll be replacing it tomorrow or the day after.

thanks

kw_da
09-05-2006, 09:11 PM
yup. that works pretty well. it was kinda squirting out. It was a split line that was dripping onto the rear engine mount and splashing onto the header collector pipe. it split right next to where its attached, under the throttle. it looks like the line continues, and goes to a sensor on the back of the intake manifold. any idea what that's for? i'll take some pics to clarify what i'm talking about.

I bought some new tubing so i'll be replacing it tomorrow or the day after.

thanks
Hi,

I think I have the same problem - just occurred. How are you getting to the hose? Mine is under the intake - do you need to take the intake off?

I think the line to the intake manifold is used for the thermovalve - can't remember what it is used for.

David