PDA

View Full Version : axle doen't fit into knucke?

md21722
04-23-2005, 08:16 AM
the driver side axle in my car seems to have an out of balance condition so i was trying to replace it. i purchased a genuine honda remanufactured axle. the splines that go into the bearing assembly don't fit right! at first i thought it was the angle or some such so it worked it around, put antiseeze and even trying tapping it with a plastic hammer. no go.

the honda part LOOKS okay but it must be slightly off?

anybody see something like this before? i axle that's in there (rebuilt replacement by previous owner) fits fine, like all other spline joints i've seen.

how do i resolve this issue with honda? i bought it mail order. can i take it to counter at my local dealer w/ receipt and say 'this part doens't work' ?

thanks!

FyreDaug
04-23-2005, 07:01 PM
First off, re you sure it was from the same year/model/transmission as your car? I dont know if the auto axles fit in the 5spd.

Just in case, otherwise I dont know what to tell you

AZmike
04-23-2005, 07:22 PM
The driver's side auto axle is a slightly different length frpm the 5 speed part, but the splines are the same. I think the shorter passenger side shafts are the same. Have you counted the splines on both shafts?

SHURIK
04-23-2005, 07:51 PM
U Have A Lude Axel Had This Prblem Before My Old Man Had A Lud And A Whole Bunch Parts Alying Around I Was Fiing My 87 Accord And I Thot I Found A New Cv The Splines In The Hub Wont Fit Not The Trany Nor The Oter Knokeol

md21722
04-24-2005, 06:07 AM
U Have A Lude Axel Had This Prblem Before My Old Man Had A Lud And A Whole Bunch Parts Alying Around I Was Fiing My 87 Accord And I Thot I Found A New Cv The Splines In The Hub Wont Fit Not The Trany Nor The Oter Knokeol

it fits into the trans just fine and it fits "halfway" into the knuckle since i tapped that side with a hammer. i think something is just "half baked" with this axle. kind of hard to count the splines and compare. i put the old axle back in and started driving the car again.

anybody know if my local honda dealer will warranty the part or do I have to ship it back to the dealer I bought it from ?

mouchyn
04-24-2005, 12:03 PM
you're probably going ot have to ship it back to the dealer you bought it from. i would give them a call and ask them...

md21722
04-25-2005, 02:02 PM
the mail order dealer said i could try a local dealer. i caused quite "the event" when i showed up at the local dealer and put the part on the counter. after talking to the parts guy, someone "sort of" above him, the service manager, and two techs.... the techs suggested using a file to clean up the spline on the shaft and on the knuckle side as necessary. my argument was that i paid for a genuine dealer part, i should have better quality. rather than press the issue, i decided i will try to clean up the threads with a file as suggested. i'll let ya'll know how it goes.

md21722
05-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I used a hammer to carefully beat the axle into to splines on the knuckle and used the axle nut to bring the axle in the rest of the way. Works fine.

-brian