PDA

View Full Version : removing thermostat housing

SQ is the SQUAD
08-07-2002, 06:05 AM
last year i broke a stud in my thermostat housing now that i am ready to put the car back on the road i need to fix it. i have taken off so much stuff and i still cannot get to the screw that holds the bottom of the housing to the head, i might just take the head off since i ordered a new head gasked, pluse the car over heat a couple of times. i took out the distributor, those two hard metal lines wont move ouy the way cuz the housing is blocking them in, i cannot move the housing cus the metal lines are in the way of the screw to the housing

lionel
08-07-2002, 06:12 AM
You can simply take out those metal lines, to get access to your housing bolts. To take them out, you need to lossen both sides of the lines, so also on the exhaust manifold side. Penetrating oil might help...

To take out the head, you'll need anyway to take those lines out.

Good luck,

--Lionel

anchovies
08-07-2002, 11:52 AM
ive tried taking out the themo housing to no avail
the egr is just stuck at the header end imo is the only way to get to the lower bolt

cost $200++ at the mechanic plus new housing
good luck

smufguy
08-07-2002, 01:18 PM
okay here it is. the stuck bolt is cause of the coolent deposits and corollsion. well, get liquid wrech, and a hair dryer (blower). spray some on and let it sit there for a while, have the hair dryer on the bolt for a minute or so till its nice and hot, let it sit for 15 secs and try removing it.

for the egr bolt and air suction pipes on the header, use a nice pipe wrench. i did that on 4 cars, they worked like magic evrytime. they wont loosen the first time or the second time or even the third time. then tighten the bolt to unfreeze it, and then loosen it. u need either wd40 or liquid wrecnch all the time

rocky2
08-07-2002, 02:30 PM
I think your talking about the thermastat housing capscrews(bolts) they always break. I had enough left sticking out to get a pair of vise grips on and remove. But I needed to heat up area with a small propane torch first and also get a candle and drip some wax on area. Might loosen the broken bolt.

SQ is the SQUAD
08-08-2002, 12:47 PM
i can only get the metal hoses off the head side, i cant get them to loosted by the headers, this sux

Hondastar
08-09-2002, 07:09 AM
I just ground my 12mm wrench in half than put it on the bolt then used anotherwrench to the 12mm wrench and it took like 2 tries to get it to work. Also I remove my distributor to have better axcess

Vinny
08-08-2003, 07:23 PM
I was wondering about that, I snapped mine of a week ago and nobody, I mean NOBODY had the housing, I checked salvage yards here in town as well as dealers within a 200 mile radius, of course it happened on a Thursday night and no one could get one til next week, OK OK I'm getting to the point. Since I'm an aircraft mech I have tools out the butt, I loosened the air suction pipe and wedged it back with a screwdriver, then I took a 6" extension and wiggled it in from the side and kinda used it to push the hose down, done deal no time at al Gives ya a straight shot at the bottom nut, a wobble or flex extension helps tool. I figured there'd be an easier way but I guess not. Least I didn't take the distibutor out or anything else. Oh and the easy out deal, if you've never done it, DON"T make this the first time, The housing is aluminum and if you slide off with yer drill yer screwed. Take it to a machine shop after you get it off, but becareful of the cost, my new one cost me 38.00, they wanted 25 to tap mine at the machine shop

Chadroper
08-09-2003, 01:11 PM
It is the air suction and erg tubes, use a cresent wrench with a long pipe to unscrew them then use a rachet with a long extension to take out the nuts.

Chadroper
08-09-2003, 06:05 PM
I broke the water outlet housing the pewter part bolted to the thermostat housing last year. No junkyards within 150 miles had one and it took a Honda dealer 100 miles away a week and a half to get one.