PDA

View Full Version : black & tan conversion

mr eff
04-24-2005, 08:11 PM
couple shots of the interior after i finally got off my ass and finished the job...

it's on this link, so you might be able to view it with a modem:

http://accord.chocolatethought.com/interior.html

3gn86lxi
04-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Looks good! Did you use the interior paint?

88accordhb
04-24-2005, 08:51 PM
looks great chris, every creative.

mr eff
04-24-2005, 09:01 PM
anyone know how to make a perl script or similar to scan a directory of files and automatically format them? i have like 100 pictures of my silly car uploaded, but i want to be able to use a script to automatically parse them and format them into thumbnail style. i'm on AIM as shivanelf or MSN as [email protected] ... help me help me!!

thanks for the comments... i wish i was ambitious enough to remove the panels and get all new vinyl material like some folks have, but i used instead the vinyl spraypaint stuff. it's really cool, actually, i can take a key to the finished surface and it won't scratch off. my friends made fun of me for painting the interior "cause it always will turn out like crap", but it's actually help up really really well. the paint itself is super fine, so it binds and forms a gluey-film over the old vinyl. does NOT work on plastic, use krylon for things like your center console.

HondaBoy
04-24-2005, 09:17 PM
looks really nice. when did you get the idea to do that? i think black goes good with just about anything. looks really good with the tan. did you do your dash? i'd like to see that if you did.

mr eff
04-24-2005, 09:56 PM
i think i got the idea a long long time ago from bitesize? not sure exactly, but i did one door in like october of 2004 and drove around like that until someone was like, "when the hell are you going to finish your car?"

i didn't do the dash entirely. just armor-all'd the dash to get it to be as dark as the sides and did some minor painting to accent it. after all, i like the idea of black and tan; it was the tan and black scheme i didn't care much for.

i don't have any really good photos of the front. for the most part i had my camera set in black and white mode (duh, heh), and lost keeping track of painting the center console, coinbox and ashtray. i've gotta remove the glovebox and paint it, and then i think that'd be all i'd want to do to the interior. aside from shampoo maybe :D

Busted_Blue
04-24-2005, 11:45 PM
You still need to get that Armrest from me chris =P

89accord_lxi_coupe
04-25-2005, 06:25 AM
good gawd!! that is nice man, how long did it take and how many coats? i need to clean my car up and mess with a few things. what brand was that paint you used? again man, that's a well done job. i still need to finish my trim molding on my exterior, just the sides now. i've got pics of the front and back bumper somewhere.

88accordalltheway
04-25-2005, 07:39 AM
its looking really nice, why did you just take the panel off?? it would have been wayyyyyyyyyyy easier...

mr eff
04-25-2005, 09:24 AM
the paint was rust-oleum's specialty "flexible vinyl coating"... it dries super fast, sprays on very oddly (it'll leave like portions uncovered, even though you obviously shot it), so you necessarily must do lots and lots of light coats. i'd say four or five coats plus touch up.

took about 5 hours to do the two front panels, and about 3 hours (plus lunch and a run to the store to get more paint) to do the rear two. i had to wait a day for the paint to cure before i can pull the 3rd seat down and finish up the vinyl behind the bench.

-- another instance where if i just removed the entire rear seat it would have been easier, but i have been sick and i guess it's affected my logic :D

89accord_lxi_coupe
04-25-2005, 10:28 AM
???logic???? WTF is that ?! my motto is do something and if it works woohoo, if not, cuss at it try it a different way.

Forgar_88
04-25-2005, 03:20 PM
I gotta say, damn that looks better! I wonder if that would work with my maroon interior panels

Busted_Blue
04-25-2005, 03:49 PM
does it smell like paint in your car?

mr eff
04-25-2005, 03:51 PM
smells like bad jasmine, thanks to my air freshener. i left the windows cracked and the rear quarters popped!

fixed sig too! not too big anymore :D

w00tw00t111
04-28-2005, 05:08 PM
???logic???? WTF is that ?! my motto is do something and if it works woohoo, if not, cuss at it try it a different way.
I do the same but instead of cursing I just hit it. Like the Simpson's said, "Do you want it done fast or right? Well, like all American's... Fast" haha

It looks extremely extremely good. Can you get that stuff at O' reilly or Autozone? Or is it more of a specialy item?

mr eff
04-28-2005, 06:35 PM
i bought it at home depot, the can has a picture of a vinyl stool on it. i think there are other colors too (white, red?), in case you want to try that with a different interior style. like i've mentioned though, don't spray plastic parts with it... the only places where it looks like it's been painted is where i sprayed plastic stuff.

It looks extremely extremely good. Can you get that stuff at O' reilly or Autozone? Or is it more of a specialy item?

racerx
05-10-2005, 10:14 AM
awww, why didn't you go with something tasteless, like blue? :D
that looks very, very impressive. one of friend's just redid his grand am's interior with black, but he used a different brand. i can't remember which one. Krylon, maybe?

Black and tan looks MUCH better than the original colors, and it goes well together. Keep up the good work!