PDA

View Full Version : What other cars are as good as ours?

Reptile
08-07-2002, 06:59 AM
What other cars out there that you know of can match or beat the 3G Accord in all areas? I mean really our cars were designed in 1985, my birthday is in 1982. Look at what they are coming out with now, everything is much more sophisticated than it was back then. There’s probably a whole lot of little things, and also some big ones, that have been improved upon. You must remember this is a car that was designed back when Safety Dance was a new song. They existed before Vanilla Ice, M C Hammer, or even the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. These things are old. However that is one of the strongest proofs of Honda's mechanical superiority, these car have that much age under there belt and they can still give the newest cars on the road a run for their money. If im ever rich one of these days im going to take one of these cars and have it retro-fitted with newer technology. I have never, and I repeat never, seen a Honda on the side of the road dead. That includes even the 1st and 2nd Gen let alone the 3rd Gen or up. I have not seen very many cars that have the miles on them that either of my 2 Accords have had. And the very few that have gotten close are obviously on their last leg. I'm not saying that high mileage American or European cars don’t exist, but they are rare. For Hondas however high mileage seems to be expected, 150k-250k seems to be the norm and 300k or up is very possible. I admit I don’t know a great deal about the reliability of European cars but the American cars suck in a lot of ways. After 100k on an American car you can expect to have to get rid of it. 200k if your just damn lucky and its been pampered. I've only heard of 2 or maybe 3 American cars that have reached or broken the 300k mark, I’ve never seen one. There is very little to hate about a car that you can expect to be able to drive anywhere you want to go, for almost any distance you want to go, for ever day you have it and it will still be running like it was when you first purchased it. These cars in many ways could become family heirlooms.

87accordlx
08-07-2002, 09:29 AM
one thing i noticed when i was in a friends 97 sunfire was the build quality was pretty damn bad, same with neons , pretty much all entry level american cars have a cheap feel to them, now i havn't been in a newer taurus or any other car in the mid size catagory like our cars but i'm willing to bet there are few american cars in that catagory now that match the build quality of our 15 year old cars, by build quality i mean feel if interiour pieces, creaks etc.. we all know the engine quality is unmatched

just my $0.02

jigga225
08-07-2002, 09:39 AM
Man just think about it... whenever you go to the junkyard what is always the situation???
7 rows of american cars and 2 or 3 rows of foreign.
I know one thing, I look at a lot of other cars, old and new and think "I dont think that looks better than my car".
I sat in a 88 Chevy Cavalier the other day and I thought: man the inside of this car is horrible. The egromics sucked... the boxy dashboard, primitive guages, and just not as near as comfortable and cosy as my 87 DX.
I also feel that american cars age quicker
Look at this.... Take a 93 Acura legend and a 93 Cadillac Seville... take a guess which would show more wear and tear.

O but back on the subject.... nothin is better than the 3G

Reptile
08-07-2002, 12:42 PM
I know i love these cars too. With a passion.

Reptile
08-07-2002, 12:43 PM
And at least 95% of those imports in the junk yard didnt get there from wear and tear did they?

phatazzDX
08-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Gee, reptile, thanks for making me feel soooooo old! :D I was a teenager during the late 80's.

Anyway, the 3gee really is the car that proved to the automotive world about Honda's reliablity. I am expecting 200,000 from my 88 DX.....I'm holding my breath about getting over 100,000 from my Sebring Conv.

87accordlxi
08-07-2002, 12:53 PM
my 86 ciera approached 140,000 miles and it was running beautifully when i sold it. my friend's 89 astro was pushing 295,000 miles before he bought a cougar. my uncle has also owned two Safari's that have gone past 200,000 miles. A friend of my dad's drove his Bonneville everywhere on business trips and racked up around 290,000 miles on it. The construction company I work for has four Super-duty F250/350's that are all over 150,000 miles and are beat to hell every single day (they'rre all within 5 years old) and continue to start up and do their tasks flawlessly

My point? I hate when people crap on American cars because they think they're inferior. Any car can last 2-300,000 miles if they are properly maintained. Their engines may not be as refined as Honda and Toyota, but GM and Ford build some robust engines that last. And wear and tear on a car depends on how much wear and tear the owner puts on it.

1989 DX R
08-07-2002, 01:50 PM
Well, I wouldn't touch anything from Chrysler with a 10 foot pole right now, except their trucks...which were all basically designed in the 60's. That goes for all the other Big 3 trucks and cars with V8's. My neighbor has a 1989 Chevy 2500 series nearing 400k miles, and no problems. However, all the new stuff seems to be less reliable in the general sense...everything with less than 6 cylinders. I know that the Bronco my parents used to have was a total POS. Cost more to fix it than to buy it. Then we got the Hondas and never looked back. I'm looking for at least 250k from my baby.

POS carb
08-07-2002, 02:42 PM
i think the differences are all noticable in the interior where you see how stuff it put *ahem, clipped/glued, snapped on* together. but honda has been slipping a bit, they're nowherer near as bad as the stuff they were competing against in its time but ALL manufacturers are finding ways to cut corners to turn a bigger profit but at the same time they come out with all sorts of awesome features. our cars have no cup holders for fucks sake. i'd rather take an old car and redo it with modern gadgets/creature comforts like air, power windows and locks, and maybe leather and all that fun stuff.

pimp86LX
08-07-2002, 04:04 PM
my unlce's got an 82 chev 1/2 ton for his shop and its gone around once already..he just tore out the rear end, but thats cause he tow's all the time

Reptile
08-07-2002, 06:10 PM
Sorry phat that wasn't intentional. Also I know that may have sounded like I was dissing American cars but honestly it wasn’t like that. I was simply stating a fact that I have observed, that is all. I have never (I repeat NEVER) seen a Honda or Subaru on the side of the road dead for as long as I have lived. Only 3 very old and beaten up Toyotas are the only foreign cars I've ever seen in that shape. I however was late for work and thus I couldn’t finish explaining that. I never said long lived American cars didn’t exists, quit the opposite in fact. Here ill even quite my own words=
"I'm not saying that high mileage American or European cars don’t exist, but they are rare."
see I'm not denying the fact that American cars can last as long as our Jap cars, I am however saying that they don’t do it as often as the imports do. That is all. I have a junk yard I go to where I live that has over 150 cars in it. The guy has never had more that 5 import cars at a time and I’ve only seen him have a 3G Accord once for about a month and a half. All the rest of his stock are American cars that are at most 10 to 15 years old. Just clarifying my point a little that’s all.

87accordlxi
08-07-2002, 07:27 PM
its alright man. i'll even agree that honda makes some of the best engines in the world, but i will always defend american cars because they sometimes get a bad rep around here. I was raised on GM cars (Olds) and none of them have given any more trouble than my honda has

Reptile
08-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Actually dude i know how you feel. Untill a month or so after my first 3G got ahold of me i didnt want anything but Chevys. My stepdad told me he will never forget the way i scowled at that beaten up little LX-i when i first saw it. It's something we still laugh about. That car brought us together (no kidding, We used to be almost totally cold to each other untill that little car came along).

sscal1
08-07-2002, 07:47 PM
yeah. my dad was a pinto man:D
s

jigga225
08-07-2002, 08:15 PM
I'm not hating on american cars.
Afterall, my 55 chevy has the ORIGINAL straight six in it.
I just wouldnt buy american right now. Except for a chevy truck.
THe caddilacs are nice, but I think they age too fast.

hondamanlxi
08-07-2002, 08:25 PM
00 ford explorer had 26,000 miles at it was clankin, 80t/a has atleast been rolled over twice and runs fine, 95 caviler 160k and one enigne, a block, tranny, fuel sys, needs electrical work,89 accord 261k and one...two trannys and thats it! MORAL: four cylinder american cars are shitty compared to jap cars;v6, v8 are fair game

ps: newer fords are half french parts!!

Reptile
08-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Ahhhhhh, the French. That explains much.

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-09-2002, 12:19 AM
Well I'm not an expert on this subject, but I do know firsthand that the Ford twin plug 2.3L four bangers in the 93-97 Rangers were pretty much bulletproof, and GM's 3.8L V6 was great (peak torque @ 2000 rpm's...Woo!). I had both....the '86 Buick (3.8) had 230,000 when I traded it and the engine ran flawlessly--didn't burn or leak a drop of oil. The rest of the car broke down more than times than I can shake a stick at, but it was never the engine....just everything else around it, lol. I sold the '94 Ranger (2.3) with 124,000 and it too ran flawlessly with no oil drips or burns, and it never even broke down (except for a dead battery one time, but that's not the trucks fault). I put over 4000 miles per month on that truck for about 5 months and she never let me down. I also remember an ex neighbor having an inline 6 cylinder in his 89 F-150 (not sure of the size) and I believe those were bulletproof engines as well.

:)

Big Body LX
08-09-2002, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Reptile
I have never, and I repeat never, seen a Honda on the side of the road dead. That includes even the 1st and 2nd Gen let alone the 3rd Gen or up

http://members.aol.com/carcraze01/LXiHatch/1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carcraze01/LXiHatch/2.jpg

You have now.... :mad:

Reptile
08-09-2002, 07:55 AM
Sorry man i dont believe that. It looks like it could be faked too easily.

Big Body LX
08-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Sorry man i dont believe that. It looks like it could be faked too easily.

I wish it had been faked... that's what my car looked like the SAME FREAKING DAY I BOUGHT IT!!!! The left axle snapped.

Both front Halfshaft axles are new... selling the car 600 cash factory equipment.

Reptile
08-09-2002, 06:34 PM
Ok dude sorry, that sux. That explains the sticker in the back window which is the real reason i didnt believe you, i figured you just took it for a test drive with a buddy and snaped a few pics in that pose. This is why i put that line in there, i wanted to see if these cars really do live up to there reputation for reliability, and so far even with that im not disapointed. That is the first Honda i have ever heard of failing someone, thats still means there reliability is unmatched. One question out of curiosity, how many miles does it have on it?

Big Body LX
08-10-2002, 03:07 PM
216,000 miles. The engine does not smoke nor burn oil. The only real problem with the car is the fact that it's so old that the bolts keep breaking (snapping) when working on it. It needs a new thermostat housing and it'll drive for a while...

Big Body LX
08-10-2002, 03:10 PM
Ok dude sorry, that sux. That explains the sticker in the back window which is the real reason i didnt believe you, i figured you just took it for a test drive with a buddy and snaped a few pics in that pose. This is why i put that line in there, i wanted to see if these cars really do live up to there reputation for reliability, and so far even with that im not disapointed. That is the first Honda i have ever heard of failing someone, thats still means there reliability is unmatched. One question out of curiosity, how many miles does it have on it?

BTW... that's my old car in the background... worst decision I ever made to sell it. 1996 Honda Accord LX sedan in mint condition... 6600.

Reptile
08-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Why did you get rid of the newer car for the older one? That doesnt really make any sence.

Big Body LX
08-11-2002, 01:36 PM
I didn't sell the newer car to get the older one per say... I sold the newer one to pay for a year of tuition at college and just happened to have enough money to buy that damn hatch.

It's ending up costing me more in the long run though :mad::(

Reptile
08-23-2002, 04:48 AM
Ah yes college, im there as well and its expencive. Well i wish you luck with getting a car that you like if your getting rid of the 3G.