PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd.

Priest
04-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Ok, here we go again. I hope you guys can help me out with this one.

About 3 days ago or so my car started doing this "thump" where it feels like the engine is jumping or wanting to fall right out of my engine bay. It's not a nice feeling, but it only happens shifting from the first two gears. After that she drives fine. I just had the clutch replaced, and my cv axels in the front are on they're last legs. I'm going to do that this weekend probably. In any event I don't know what to make of this I couldn't really think of way to search for this cause it's not very descriptive. Any help is appriciated.

Thanks,
- Brandon

P.S. Iceman, I have the same problem you just fixed. Seems to be going around. I saw another guy going through that too. Weird.

AccordEli
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I would be willing to bet that one of your lower motor/tranny mounts is bad. Also, since you just had the clutch replaced, they may have not gotten one tight.

There is one behind the engine on the subframe for the tranny, there is one in front of the engine on the subframe for the engine, there is a bracket in the front that bolts the tranny to the engine mount, and there is one on the drivers side fender for the engine.

-Eli

mr eff
04-25-2005, 01:51 PM
i have worn motor mounts... symptoms are slight herky-jerky feelings when in the low gears due to the torque. if you get your car rolling, then lay on the gas and immediately let off, it'll feel as though the engine wants to keep moving and it clunks around.

you can also throw the parking brake on, have someone with a flashlight inspect each mount as you engage and disengage the clutch to the near point of stalling. do it in reverse as well to check motion that way.

Priest
04-25-2005, 04:07 PM
I forgot to mention that the engine jumps when I left off the gas, not when I use the clutch. However, it only does it in first and second gear. Don't know if that makes a difference. I'm betting it was just when I had the clutch replaced and something vibrated loose. I'm gonna check it out when I can.