PDA

View Full Version : just gone

phenox
04-28-2005, 05:08 AM
Yo whats up guys ok heres the situ. i got a amp from a friend of mine and i had everything hooked up and everything. For about a week or so it was working just fine. Then i was skool waiting for the first bell to ring and they just stopped playing no warning or ne thing. i checked all my connections so I kno it could be one of a few things but i need to kno if ne ones had this problem so i can narrow it down instead of spening unnessary money thnx

snow_man_20
04-28-2005, 05:41 AM
Check all fuses and use a simple light tester and test your ground, power, and rem. first. If that's all good then test your rca's with a amp. that you know works. If you get sound out of the good amp then your amp isn't any good.

that's how i would test it.

phenox
04-29-2005, 05:41 AM
wow i get in my car after work and it magically works again i checked every wire i could find and it didnt work so i had to go to work then i went to work all pissed cause i had no bump in the back and i got in the car and heard the amp turn on so now i just gotta replace the shitty rca cable that came with my kit thanx for the advice

HondaBoy
04-29-2005, 10:28 AM
mine did similar things like that of not comming on. one time it was the remote power wire not connected. then more recently it was the rca cable not getting a connection. i've fixed that now.

Sabz5150
04-29-2005, 11:00 AM
wow i get in my car after work and it magically works again i checked every wire i could find and it didnt work so i had to go to work then i went to work all pissed cause i had no bump in the back and i got in the car and heard the amp turn on so now i just gotta replace the shitty rca cable that came with my kit thanx for the advice

Sounds like thermal overload.

shepherd79
04-29-2005, 11:19 AM
yeah i was thinking the same.
when it turns off again, check to see how hot does it get.
if it gets hot, very hot, make sure your sub is wirred properly in OHM wise, and make sure the amp is not clipping.

phenox
05-03-2005, 07:10 AM
is there any way i can get some air back there my amp is a ppi and its like metal all the way around not like sony amps that are like plastic and it gets really hot in SC when im parked at school and what not is there somewhere i can mount a fan or sumthin

mouchyn
05-03-2005, 08:53 AM
sure. mount a fan. the accord doesn't have any kind of special mounts back there for amps or fans, so you have to do it yourself. you already have 12V of power back there, so just get a computer fan or two and wire them up. I would control them with a relay using amp power and the remote turn on wire as the relay activator.

as suggested above, i would also check the wiring on your sub(s). if they are wired for a resistence lower than your amp can handle, the amp will overheat and clip.

mouchyn
05-03-2005, 08:54 AM
oh yeah. you could also just turn the volume down a couple notches...

phenox
05-04-2005, 04:54 AM
not to sound noobish or anything but what do u guys mean when u say clip?

superguillermo
05-04-2005, 11:01 AM
not to sound noobish or anything but what do u guys mean when u say clip?

"Clipping?
Clipping occurs when an amplifier is requested (by pre amp signal) to produce more output voltage than it has the capability to do so.

EX: A RF 800.2 amp ~1000W @ 4 ohms mono.

What is the Max voltage that amplifier is capable of producing @ 4 ohms?

P = I V where P= power, I= current, V = Voltage

V = I R where R= resistance (impedance)

P= 1000W; R = 4 ohms

P = I * V; since V = IR
P = I^2 R
1000W = I^2 * 4
I^2 = 250
I = 15.81 amps

Since V = I*R
V = 15.81 * 4 = 63.25 volts

ENOUGH MATH!!!!!!!!

When the amplifier gets to 63.25 volts output (regardless of 4, 2 or 1 ohm output) that amplifier reaches its maximum voltage. At that point, any request for a higher voltage is just DENIED!!! The amplifier may continue to produce 63.25 volts at one or many frequencies, but that is the maximum output voltage it is capable of.

The amplifier isn't capable of DC output, just that the signal output reaches a maximum ceiling. Diagrams of square waves; whereas, the tops & bottoms of waves being clipped off are accurate for just that. They are not to be interpreted as indicative of amplifier frequency movement. The speaker and amplifier don't discontinue to move because the amp is clipped, only the output does not increase even when you turn up the volume. The strongest frequency is stopped at a maximum, while the other information continues to be amplified.

Keep in mind, any amplifier that is capable of putting out 1000W rms is capable of putting out 2000W max (fully clipped signal). In the above case, where your speaker is capable of handling 1000W rms, it won't survive 2000W continuously, and will melt should you give it 2000W.

The reason most stores and alleged gurus tell you that clipping kills speakers is because most people coincide speaker value and attaining the maximum heat or excursion capabilities of the speakers. That's what the Rane publication shows."

Quoted from http://www.clubknowledge.com/mr_b/8.htm

phenox
05-05-2005, 05:29 AM
ok well i think i found the prob my wire from the battery is being crimped so im gonna try moving it i think there was a article somewhere about a hole in the firewall im needing this bass i miss the lil bit that i had be4 it started giving me problems