PDA

View Full Version : RetroFit HID Headlights!!!

joker2
04-28-2005, 06:40 AM
Just wondering if anyone has seen this site before http://www.hidretro.com/page26.htm .... I'm pretty sure that if someone really wanted these that they would probably make a pair.... All I know is they look nice a s hell!!! Check out the Nissan Pathfinder headlights, HOT!!! :rockon:

88accordalltheway
04-28-2005, 07:08 AM
does anyone know where i can get the housing like that with the lights and bubble like lense? I have the bumper inserts that luis made, and a small light like this will fit perfect, plus theres room inside the bumper for the housing.

Busted_Blue
04-28-2005, 11:43 AM
well Joker, I've looked into the HID retrofit setup recently and it is a difficult task. We have the popup lights and in order to retain the popup headlight feature and retrofit a projector into the headlight will be rather difficult. Because it is a flipup, there is some depth issues involved. HID Projectors require depth because the distance from the bulb to the lense is crucial in how the light projects out of the lense. Our seal beams only have about 5 inches of depth and the typical projector is more than 6 inches.

That is the number one problem in terms of projectors. It is still possible, but it would require extensive custom work to get the projector to work. Low beam HID Valeo Projectors are possible as they are the smallest of the bunch in terms of HID projectors. But since the H4 is a dual beam unit, we lose our highbeams. Once again a problem since many of us want highbeams also.

I've been thinking about retrofitting a Valeo projector into H4 housing and it will cost me well over $600 in order to do it nicely. See if you want to spend the money for that. =P

HondaBoy
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
that looks like something i would do. i tried fitting projectors into some old H4 housings i had. the projectors like they show would be needing more clearance. especially with the wiring and crap on the end. its doable. maybe i can fab up something similar to what they showed, that was kinda my idea. what they show was pretty much what i was thinking to do, but on my H4 housings.

joker2
04-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I hear you Busted_Blue, I guess anything is possible if you have the money to do the research and development but looking at the ones on that site, damn that would be nice to have..... HondaBoy, I remember seeing a pic of the ones you were trying to develope and they looked pretty nice.... :cool: You should stay with it and see what you come up with....

Busted_Blue
04-28-2005, 01:32 PM
I've talked to my friend who does retrofitting. Turns out he has a 3gee too!
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43099

anyways he says it would cost around $1000 to do it the right way like in the thread I posted a few weeks back.

carotman
04-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Hmmm I'll spend the 1000 on other crap. However, I would really like to have HIDs. I wonder if there would be a way to keep the high beams with an HID setup...

MoonScryer
05-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Ummm, retrofitting a set of HID projectors into the pop-up lights is easier than you think. Busted Blue is going down the right road, but not thinking 4th dimensionaly :D

I'll post up pics in a few weeks if the JBWeld works right...

thegreatdane
05-02-2005, 09:16 AM
If HID's werent so damn expencive I would get a set to fool around with for my stationary headlights. Stationary headlights would most likely be somewhat easier to convert.

Busted_Blue
05-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Ummm, retrofitting a set of HID projectors into the pop-up lights is easier than you think. Busted Blue is going down the right road, but not thinking 4th dimensionaly :D

I'll post up pics in a few weeks if the JBWeld works right...

Ok maybe it isn't as hard as you think it is. It just requires a little research and some extra time fitting everything and look presentable and not ghetto. :D

Anyways, I look forward to your pictures, I'm very curious!

sporkHSP
05-02-2005, 10:40 AM
mount that shit at an angle in the housing and do sleepy eyes.

It sounds more possible if you do it that way... just my .02

classicaccord
05-02-2005, 07:34 PM
i got a brand new set of hids from an 05 acura tl if ne 1 wants them...ill sell them cheaper than u think

qh187
05-04-2005, 04:00 AM
i got a brand new set of hids from an 05 acura tl if ne 1 wants them...ill sell them cheaper than u think

I PMed you. Or email me at qh187(at)yahoo.com

HondaBoy
05-04-2005, 10:34 AM
here's something i posted a while back. i thought these bulbs were quite interesting.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42176&highlight=hir

shepherd79
05-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Hmmm I'll spend the 1000 on other crap. However, I would really like to have HIDs. I wonder if there would be a way to keep the high beams with an HID setup...

Paul from Russia had true HID. when he had his aerodeck he converted his diamond cut housing for HID. the problem was that he could only have low beam. No high beam since the bulb has one element.

So the answer to your question would be NO.

b20a86lude
05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
could wwe fit thewm on our headlights i want to close and look like i odnt have them keepin it clean is all me

RobT5580
05-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Those are too long they are similar to the Audi ones i had before. I think the Audi TT ones will work with a custom H4 style housing.

Busted_Blue
05-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Paul from Russia had true HID. when he had his aerodeck he converted his diamond cut housing for HID. the problem was that he could only have low beam. No high beam since the bulb has one element.

So the answer to your question would be NO.

The way Paul did it is call the Kit design. Getting ballast, bulbs, a h4 adapter and just basically plug n play into the Diamond Cut. There are a couple of problems with the way paul did it. The main one is that there is no highbeam (retrofit proposes the same problem also), but many of us could probably run without it since HID illuminates well enough already. Another reason is that the H4 housings were design for halogens and the reflectors inside were designed to reflect halogen not HID capsules. HID emits light a different way than halogens and there are hot spots on the light output as well glare that will blind oncoming motorists and well as people in front of you.

Retrofitting is taking OE equipment and installing them into cars without it to meet the strict requirements of OE standards. Retrofitting projectors are the only way to prevent glare, hotspots and blinding other motorists.

Retrofit will cost alot of money but it will definitely look a lot better than a plug n play unit.

MoonScryer
05-06-2005, 09:09 AM
using Bosch reflectors, they should fit within the H4 retrofit housings. The back needs to be cut at a certain point so the projector can sit in it. You can't use full BMW bi-xenon reflectors - they are nearly 6" in length, and just won't fit. Bosch ones are about 5" and when put all the way in, will fit. Just a matter of finding a way to actually mount them in the housing. to minimize reflections on the reflector, you need to also wrap the projectors back casing. I'm about halfway done, but I can only work on this in my spare time as everything is two hours away.

shepherd79
05-08-2005, 08:31 AM
The way Paul did it is call the Kit design. Getting ballast, bulbs, a h4 adapter and just basically plug n play into the Diamond Cut. There are a couple of problems with the way paul did it. The main one is that there is no highbeam (retrofit proposes the same problem also), but many of us could probably run without it since HID illuminates well enough already. Another reason is that the H4 housings were design for halogens and the reflectors inside were designed to reflect halogen not HID capsules. HID emits light a different way than halogens and there are hot spots on the light output as well glare that will blind oncoming motorists and well as people in front of you.

Retrofitting is taking OE equipment and installing them into cars without it to meet the strict requirements of OE standards. Retrofitting projectors are the only way to prevent glare, hotspots and blinding other motorists.

Retrofit will cost alot of money but it will definitely look a lot better than a plug n play unit.

even the way he had on his car, he had bad ass headlights. he never blinded anyone. you have to adjust them in proper way.