PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Adjust the Clutch With?

jigga225
08-07-2002, 09:23 AM
Whas up all.
THe autozone clutch I put iin in April went out (NOBODY BUY ONE) so I put another one in.
The thing is, I cant adjust the cable with my hand anymore, the nit is hard to turn. Is there a certain wrench or tool to use to turn the little flower lookin nut by the tranny that adjusts the clutch?

anchovies
08-07-2002, 11:47 AM
i haven't been messing with my clutch setting for a while...but if i remembered correctly...if it's stuck..then push on the lower end (the one u check for free play) so u that u have some free slack to turn the knob
tht is if i remembered correctly...i'd the same problem

Jareds 89 LX-i
08-07-2002, 11:52 AM
When I did mine for the first time in a loooonnggg ass time, it was so tight I couldn't turn it at all. I put a jack under the clutch release arm and jacked it up (releasing the clutch -- like pushing the pedal in). That put some freeplay in the cable so I was able to adjust it.

:)

smufguy
08-07-2002, 01:08 PM
thats what u gotta do like jared did, besides why do u wanna adjust the clutch? be sure u bring it back to where it used to be, or u will be wearing your clutch down faster or, the clutch wont be engagin at all.

1988starter
08-07-2002, 05:56 PM
how do you dnow it is at proper ajustment.

jigga225
08-07-2002, 08:08 PM
I was getting off work, and when I got to the stop sign I couldnt shift into gear. I pressed the clutch and tried to move the shifter and nothing happened.
I thought maybe the adjustment was off, since I sat theere for like 5 minutes tryin to shift into a gear. SO i adjustted the bolt for the clutch. It didnt help (Turns out the pressure plate was bad)
When I got the new clutch put in I guess they didnt mess with the adjustment I made, becasue the clutch only pulls on the top 3/4 of the pedal. I want to adjust it closer to the floor like it was before

Thanks for all the help

smufguy
08-08-2002, 06:37 AM
thts what i thought, if u could not shift like i did when i first bought my 3g, its probably the clutch plate or the pressure plate. mine, i had to grind it in first most of the time. luckly i had it changed in a week. i know i ground my gears like hell, but i dont have any probs with it anymore after the clutch change.