PDA

View Full Version : engine stumbles and dies

fur_fenton
04-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Hello, I own a 1989 accord, 2.0 carb, 5 speed. The car runs great in town but when ever I try to go for a trip somewhere, after about 130 kms, the engine begins to miss, or stumble. As long as I keep the rpms up it runs but if I let the gas off it dies. It continues to get worse as I go. It eventually stops working all together but after sitting for a hour or so it will start right up and act as if nothing happened. It has done this to me twice. Ive changed all the filters, i dunno, its got me. If anyone has any ideas what it could be please help me out. Thanks in advance. Chris

smufguy
04-29-2005, 09:06 AM
sounds like its temperature related. As in the duration of operation lengthens, the car acts weird. Well try and replace the temperature sending sensors and see if it fixes it. if the car misses, then its ignition related. See if th plugs look glazed. as in golden. If it is, then ur running lean. Is there any vaccuum leak in ur car?

fur_fenton
04-29-2005, 09:14 AM
sounds like its temperature related. As in the duration of operation lengthens, the car acts weird. Well try and replace the temperature sending sensors and see if it fixes it. if the car misses, then its ignition related. See if th plugs look glazed. as in golden. If it is, then ur running lean. Is there any vaccuum leak in ur car?

Where are the temp sending units? I looked through my repair manual but didnt find anything. There isnt any vacume leak and the plugs are find but the car doesnt exactly miss, but it doesnt run as smooth as i would like. Im wondering if I should replace the distributer.

smufguy
04-29-2005, 09:22 AM
u can check the distributor cap first and see if its worn out, then take the rotor off, and then remove the black plastic thing and see if u find any red powder. If u do, then replace the distributor itself.

i dont know where the temp sending units are on a carb on the top off my head. But i know there is one on the thermostat and one under the carb on the rear of the intake manifold.

it would have been better if u asked this in the carb tech section.