PDA

View Full Version : A20A1 parts.

Acid X
04-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Alright, i've used the search function and so far, all the threads i've looked at seem to say that modding the stock motor might hurt emissions.

So what i'm here to ask, is this: What can i do to my A20A1 to give it about 20 more hp, without killing emissions? I've heard that the weber carbs screw emissions.. And i can't have that. I live in california.. It's hard enough to pass as it is, sometimes.

All replies are appreciated!

OH, and not to mention, i dont want it to cost upwards of 300-500$.. Not including labor.

A20A1
04-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Well you might want to think about converting to EFI... since you have emissions.

Acid X
04-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah, but i'd much rather stick with carbureted... Theres really nothing i can do withotu messing up emissions? :(

TTSpider
04-30-2005, 01:12 PM
not really, we're both in the same situation, so i can sympathize with you. I think we're emissions safe with a header and a cam regrind

Acid X
04-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Cam regrind.. I've read numerous times about this, but this makes use of the stock cam, right?

Also, i've heard i might be able to expect more power out of an EFI cam.. Would i be able to use the EFI cam, get a regrind, ang still be able to pass emissions?

gfrg88
04-30-2005, 09:06 PM
yea they wont be able to tell you have a cam regrind, i think.
but the best way to get more power in here in cali would probably be converting to EFI like others said, because of the emissions.

Acid X
04-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but i just can't do that. You answered my first, but not my second question.. Can i use the EFI cam and get it reground and still pass emissions?

gfrg88
04-30-2005, 09:18 PM
i think th EFI cam and the carb cam are the same... im not !00% sure on that but if you get it reground i think it wouldnt make a difference if it was EFI or carb :dunno:

88Accord-DX
04-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Yeah, but i'd much rather stick with carbureted...
Why do you want to stick with carbureted? That s.o.b. is driving me nuts. I would go fuel injection any day. I think the cams are the same in both models.
*edit* Well, if you want to stick with the carb. over the trouble of switching to EFI, than I hear you. Lots of work..

rjudgey
05-01-2005, 12:46 AM
why would a weber carb fail emissions? i thought that other cars in Cali have webers on them like VW's, italian cars, as well as a few others i'm sure, isn't it just a case of getting the weber Jetted and tuned properly? The 32/36 DGV is a better carb than the Honda one, and uses less fuel and gives better performance? It's all in the setting up, you need a Garage to set the jets and tune so that the emissions don't go over the legal amount? Even my pair of Weber 45's son't throw out more than 1.5 percent CO2 can even get as low as 1 if i need to but U,K rules aren't as strict.

A20A1
05-01-2005, 03:11 PM
It's not totally that it will faill emissions... but a weber carb will fail the visual inspection... if they have a visual inspection in that area. A weber carb will stick out as being an aftermarket component. You could hide it under a stock air box... but the ports over the barrels may hit the lid on the stock box and choke the motor.

carotman
05-01-2005, 03:44 PM
stupid visual inspection

Acid X
05-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Ah, i see.. Thanks a bunch guys. Too bad you guys couldnt be here to help me work it all out when/if i buy a weber!

snow_man_20
05-02-2005, 04:25 AM
i don't know how you guys can deal with emissions, and no mods. It would be ok if you can have mods but have to pass emissions, but no mods and emissions takes all the fun.

Cant Stop
05-17-2005, 05:49 PM
i keep hearing weber weber weber , these are a bit expensive in my opinion, but i understand it takes money to make power.
now i am doing oold school mods here i am attempting to put a dual carb setup on my a20a1 i PLAN on using the honda kei hins with either a modified intake or doing the et2 head swap, shepard has been pm for his opinion on this my question is this: anyone know where i can find specs on these carbs they are vf series 05b e aa carbs, i ewant to rejet the fuel and maybe the air about 1 or 2 sizes bigger so they will run on the 2.0 better. modifing a 2.0 intake would be cheap for me since i plan on doing most of the fabricating myself and outsourcing the welding, i figure about 100-200 dollars tops for the welding and about 20 to 30 dollars for materials , i plan on wacking the intake as close to the head as i dare and still maintain the 2 ports into 1 runners.
i figured i would post onto this thread rather than start a new one and yes i've used the search feature but run into webers only mod's. sorry if i'm long winded any thoughts on this ? i'm new to honda's and want to start off slow plus i like the idea of the 86 lude air box and its dual carb lettering being in my engine bay, do i need the big vacuum box that came with the lude? thats only part i didnt take. was planning on dropping most vacuum without losing ac since it hot done here and this is a daily driver.