PDA

View Full Version : Motor : Fix/rebuild/buy rebuilt/or keep putting

jigga225
04-30-2005, 12:49 PM
man my 3G has leaky cam and crank seals.
Plus, when I pull off, there's a hint of blue smoke coming from my tail pipe.
230k miles. Runs like a champ.
I've been bustin my ass to fix oil leaks here and there. And now this is what i'm faced with ^^.
I figure I can fix the seals myself
But spending the money to get the rings or whatever done makes me think to just get another engine.
THere's some guy on eBay selling engines that are supposedly really low mileage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=7971404821&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
He talkin about 30-40k miles,but I quiestion his validty, some people are assholes.
So where else could I get a nice, "rebuilt" engine? Or how much chould it cost to rebuild mine?

mr eff
04-30-2005, 01:21 PM
seems to me like a basic rebuild would cost about the same as what this man is asking for his JDM a20... at least then you'd know for certain the state of the engine rather than gambling on both a random ebay seller and a random "30k JDM engine"

that's my input, but that's probably just putting into words what you're already thinking.

AccordEpicenter
04-30-2005, 03:09 PM
get another motor, freshen it up and swap that sheeeeooot

Vanilla Sky
04-30-2005, 05:40 PM
i'd grab a junkyard motor that was in decent chape to rebuild... racer x has a nicely rebuilt motor, and i think it's only cost him about $1100 so far... not bad at all considering he's got a budget performance build...

you can get these motor rebuilt from parts stores and the like, but i don't trust them... jasper is supposedly a quality engine rebuilder, but that would still cost more than a build like racer x's motor... if you can, try to find a virgin block to rebuild... that way you can ensure a factory spec across the board on it... no old bores from old rebuilds...

carotman
05-01-2005, 02:56 AM
A spare engine out of a junkyard won't cost much. That guy on the auction asks way too much for the A20A. This engine is out of a cerbed Accord and does not include any accessories. If it included everything (with the tranny) I would say it's a good deal.

No wonder this engine is for sale for over a month on ebay now.

jigga225
05-01-2005, 10:19 AM
yeah i'ma look into it.
right now it runs really good. Gets me to class and back every day without a hint of doubt. But I dont like havin to add oil, and the thought of smoke coming out of the pipe is unnapealing to me.
I'm bout to move to austin for the summer, and i need my a/c. i wont fix my a/c with these problems still going on.
guess i'll just take the Legend.