PDA

View Full Version : hesitation and spuddering on 89 LXI

88vert
05-01-2005, 12:37 PM
When driving and when the car is idleing at a stop sign the idle will stumble and then when I go to take off it spudders really bad.But if I put it to the floor it will get up to highway speed but continues to stumble.Could this be fuel pump?I am open to anything.Thanks for your help

mouchyn
05-01-2005, 01:04 PM
have you done a normal tune up lately?

plugs (use normal NGK non platinums)
plug wires
distributor cap
distributor rotor button
fuel filter
air filter
adjust ignition timing
fuel system cleaner/treatment
O2 sensors

how many miles does the car have?
what kind of gas milage are you getting?
replaced the catalytic converter in the last 100k miles?

the things listed above (except the cat) are cheap and easy steps. certainly not a waste of money -- regardless of how the car is running. if those things don't fix your problem, then you can start looking into more expensive items like the fuel pump, ignition coil, etc.

88vert
05-01-2005, 01:08 PM
have you done a normal tune up lately?

plugs (use normal NGK non platinums)
plug wires
distributor cap
distributor rotor button
fuel filter
air filter
adjust ignition timing
fuel system cleaner/treatment
O2 sensors

how many miles does the car have?
what kind of gas milage are you getting?
replaced the catalytic converter in the last 100k miles?

the things listed above (except the cat) are cheap and easy steps. certainly not a waste of money -- regardless of how the car is running. if those things don't fix your problem, then you can start looking into more expensive items like the fuel pump, ignition coil, etc. I just took the distribitor cap off and the rotor piece has a broken part on it.I just changed plugs,wires fuel filter within the last 1000 miles.Car has 182000 miles ans is a auto

mouchyn
05-01-2005, 01:09 PM
what plugs are you using?
replace that dizzy cap and rotor

are there any other symptoms? stalling when tank gets closer to empty? bad gas milage? smelly exhaust?

88vert
05-01-2005, 01:10 PM
I am getting around 30 to the gallon :)

88vert
05-01-2005, 01:11 PM
NGK iradiums.I am going to buy a new cap and rotor asap I will post the results in a couple of hours

88vert
05-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Put new cap and rotor took her for a ride and about 5 miles into the ride it starts to stumble.When I am at a stop sign in drive with the brake on it stumbles a little then about 45 sec to a min later it stumbles again.Any ideas on what I should check next?Thanks for your help

mouchyn
05-01-2005, 07:54 PM
O2 sensors
coolant temperature sensors
fuel pressure

shepherd79
05-02-2005, 04:51 AM
check the ECU for codes just in case there are some.

does it stamble if you don't press on the brake pedal?

88vert
05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
It stumbles all the way through driving.I have noticed when the car is first started up it does not act up but right as soon as she warms up thats when it acts up

halxi
05-13-2005, 08:26 PM
mouchyn is right...

i was/am having this exact problem... why? coolant temp sensor

basically the cars computer is thinking its running in either really really cold conditions, or really really hot conditions, so it kind of adjusts and runs however whenever. There was/is nothing left of the sensor its self or the plug on it. It basically rotted away, i take it in thursday to get it fixed so hopefully it will run normal after that. While i was there he checked my fuel pump/pressure... 75lbs i think he said, and he said i only really need a minimum of 22lbs... so my fuel pump is still goin strong, after 242xxx miles of pumping :cool:

basically what im saying, slim chance that its your fuel pump.

mouchyn
05-14-2005, 08:30 AM
fuel pump life greatly depends on the type of gas it's pumping. Here in texas, we have TERRIBLE gas quality compared to most other states. So, hondas will burn through fuel pumps down here in 150k miles. Up in the washington DC area, they have some of the best gas in the country. Fuel pumps up there stay clean and strong for 500k miles.

everything is worth checking, but sometimes people overlook things like temperature sensors. They think that since the temperature gauge works, and the car doesn't over heat then the temp sensor must be fine. If the temp sensor rots away, or shorts out, the ECU will think the engine temperature is something crazy like -400*F or 500*F. If it shorts, the ECU thinks the engine is super cold, so it dumps tons of fuel into the chambers. Our little engines don't combust all the fuel and you get poor performance, sputtering, carbon blowing out of the tail pipe and bad gas milage.

halxi
05-14-2005, 07:00 PM
fuel pump life greatly depends on the type of gas it's pumping. Here in texas, we have TERRIBLE gas quality compared to most other states. So, hondas will burn through fuel pumps down here in 150k miles. Up in the washington DC area, they have some of the best gas in the country. Fuel pumps up there stay clean and strong for 500k miles.

everything is worth checking, but sometimes people overlook things like temperature sensors. They think that since the temperature gauge works, and the car doesn't over heat then the temp sensor must be fine. If the temp sensor rots away, or shorts out, the ECU will think the engine temperature is something crazy like -400*F or 500*F. If it shorts, the ECU thinks the engine is super cold, so it dumps tons of fuel into the chambers. Our little engines don't combust all the fuel and you get poor performance, sputtering, carbon blowing out of the tail pipe and bad gas milage.

yea, thats EXACTLY what mines doing, the whole harness and everything has completely rotted away. Right now i cant even afford to drive it, it went through a tank of gas in 70 miles, and that was 95% highway driving :banghead:

possum
05-14-2005, 07:50 PM
yea, thats EXACTLY what mines doing, the whole harness and everything has completely rotted away. Right now i cant even afford to drive it, it went through a tank of gas in 70 miles, and that was 95% highway driving :banghead:

Holy crap 70 miles. That baby must have been blowing black smoke for sure. Living in the rust belt, I might as well check mine too, just in case. :ugh:

halxi
05-15-2005, 03:56 PM
o yea, it was bad... my dad (i met him in greeley, and he was following me home) couldnt even stay behind me because the smell was unbareable, and i had to keep my windows down all the way or i would get intoxicated by the gas fumes lol, it sucked. 48 Miles of freezin my ass off :lol:

88vert
09-11-2005, 07:04 AM
I just want to update this.It was a bad plug wire.Thanks again for all your help

possum
09-11-2005, 09:40 AM
I just want to update this.It was a bad plug wire.Thanks again for all your help

Musta been a bad wire from the coil to the distibutor cap huh?

88vert
09-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Thats what it was :sad2: They were only a month old :ugh:

kaltenacht
09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Really, mine is doing the same thing. Ive replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, so far. I still need to adjust the timing, and replace the fuel filter. Now from reading the previous posts, i think i will check the coolant temperature sensor. They may seem like a dumb question but do our cars have a temperature switch?? I thinking like it does, but ne how...

88accord_4_life
09-16-2005, 01:13 PM
k

88accord_4_life
09-16-2005, 01:17 PM
k

racerx
09-26-2005, 07:24 AM

:bowrofl: :rofl: :lol: that's great. you know your car is running bad when you buy a hummer to save gas money.