PDA

View Full Version : 88 accord help

Not again
05-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I have an 1988 Accord automatic
Last week it developed a problem,when the engine warms up the tach stops working and the engine starts surging and there is a loud noise coming from under the air box. If I try to start car again I have a hard time keeping the car running as soon as I put it in drive it stalls.
If this helps the engine also pings under load.
Like I said the car could be running great warm or cold and then the problem starts and then it stops????????? no rime or reason?
Any and all help would be great!

A20A1
05-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Have you replaced basic parts like:
2 fuel filters
PCV Valve
Have you cheked the plugs?
Make sure you do the work with the engine cold or you might mess up the threads for the plugs.
Have you adjusted the igniton timing at all?
Have you adjusted your valves at all?

I don't know why your tach would suddenly stop working... you might want to open up the distributor and look for red dust on the internal parts.

You also should check your engine ground wires and the wires to the battery.

pinging underload could mean you have too much ignition advance... or you are burning oil... or the fuel mixture is lean.

If the fuel mix is lean you might want to check the fuel filters and fuel pump... also check the float level and see if your booster venturies are loose or not.

Make sure the choke is opening.

you could have a vacuum leak too so that might be something to look for.

right now there is just too much room for speculation... so.

Not again
05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Things went from bad to worse,after my drive home,the car stalled as I was coming of the Hwy,when I went to start it the engine began to knock(top end I think)On the hwy it would not accelerate?

A20A1
05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
If it's a knock it could be a rod bearing or detonation.