PDA

View Full Version : no start on 88 accord dx

cl88
05-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Alright guys, apparently my lower radiator hose broke and unknowing to me I continued to drive for about 5-7 miles. Then I noticed the power going down as I hit the gas. I also noticed pumes of smoke coming out the back of my car. (seen through rearview mirror) arounf this same time my car stalled and will not crank any more. What happened??? It trys to crank but will not. it will not turn over all the way and start engine.

biggene
05-02-2005, 06:53 AM
You said it wont turn over and start the engine??

Do you mean it will rotate but wont start, or it will not rotate at all when you try to start?

cl88
05-02-2005, 07:12 AM
It does rotate but will not start.

shepherd79
05-02-2005, 07:50 AM
did you try to add coolant?
our cars are very sensetive to coolant levels.
check the copression in the cylinders. I hope you didn't overheat the engine.

cl88
05-02-2005, 07:54 AM
I put water in it to see if it would crank still will not crank. What are the symtoms of a over heated engine? what are the ramifications of an overheated engine.

shepherd79
05-02-2005, 08:08 AM
check the oil for color. if it is brown color, you have coolant in there.
if you overheated your motor, most likely you warped your cylinder head, busted the headgasket.
you will need minor engine overhaul.

88Accord-DX
05-02-2005, 08:32 AM
I did a write up on No-Start. Here is the link. Hope it helps you out.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42782

cl88
05-02-2005, 08:56 AM
thanks this is very helpful. Is it posible to blow a headgasket after driving five to 8 miles like that.? the car lost power then would not crank. It get good spark but will not crank on. It just turns over. I have a new timing belt on it also.

biggene
05-02-2005, 09:23 AM
It is possible to blow a head gasket just sitting there if the engine is hot enough. I did this in my 89 Civic dx, make sure that you have the head resurfaced and throughly clean out the oiling passages to the cam. Also make sure you replace the head bolts after taking it off.

Biggene

cl88
05-02-2005, 09:45 AM
check the oil for color. if it is brown color, you have coolant in there.
if you overheated your motor, most likely you warped your cylinder head, busted the headgasket.
you will need minor engine overhaul.

What is a "need minor engine overhaul" and how much does this cost.

shepherd79
05-02-2005, 12:34 PM
you will have to rebuild your cylinder head. replace all the gaskets.
remove the oil pan and drain and clean the oil passages and replace the gaskets around oil pan.
it is a little stuff, but it can end up costing you big bucks if you don't know how to fix things.

FishyMan
05-02-2005, 01:19 PM
hmm.. i am having a similar problem.

a person is giving away a 3rd gen, it has a new battery, but somethign bout not starting.. the person also said they tried to jump it but it wouldn't work. im not sure if electrical is even working.. but ya..

what could be wrong? where should i look when i get the chance to go down?

thanks..

cl88
05-03-2005, 05:30 AM
I will be selling this car. How much should I ask for? I just installed new clutch, radiator, timing belt. It has 131K. What would be a good price. Body is decent, interior perfect.

88Accord-DX
05-03-2005, 11:33 PM
If it needs a new head gasket or head re-build. I don't think you will get too much for it, despite the new clutch & radiator & belt. Might get 2 or 3 hundred "if" your lucky. Hope you got some receipts.