PDA

View Full Version : b16 intake manifold Next mod

Slipknotcraig133
05-02-2005, 11:02 AM
I am wanting to do the b16 intake manifold for my next mod. I plan on using this manifold http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36474&item=7971072539&rd=1 . I have searched and i have found some info. Now with the vacuum lines do i just use t's. What about the coolant lines. Next question. Now im not sure what its called but its under the intake manifold and it has like a 1" hose going to it. Does the b16 manifold have the hole in between the runners going to that. I know that i have to redrill the top holes. Does the intake manifold have the vacuum hookups for things like the brakes on the timing belt side of the motor. Next what about the egr. How am i going to get rid of that without throwing codes. Also what about the sensor that plugs into the intake manifold runner on the driver side of the car. The last thing that i can think of now is the the throttle cable. Can i use the one that i have now or do i have to get a b16 one. Sorry for all of the questions i just want to know everything before i get started.

Slipknotcraig133
05-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Cruise control will be going anyway so no big deal. So i will no longer have a eacv so will i just plug those coolant lines or what.

AccordEpicenter
05-02-2005, 01:22 PM
the AEBS intake manifold is better (and half the price) of that one

300700'88lx-i
05-02-2005, 01:35 PM
The EACV on b-series manifolds mounts on the rear, you should still run one. If you have trouble finding one for a b-series manifold, you could snag one off of like a 5th gen d-series Civic. You'll need to add a length of wire to the original pig-tail to make it work because of the new location. As far as coolant lines go, you'll need to lengthen some, and shorten others, it's not that big of a deal. I used T's to hook up all my vacuum lines, and everything works fine, even the cruise control. For the EGR, I plugged in the sensor and the vacuum line and left it in the engine bay, no codes. With a little bit of juggling of linkage parts, you can still use the original throttle cable. That big 1" hose that comes up through the bottom of the manifold is for the PCV. I rotated the hose to a spot where I could just plug the PCV valve into the hose and ran a length of hose up to the nub on the manifold. If it's not clear what I'm saying now, you'll see when you have everything apart.

Good luck with it.

Slipknotcraig133
05-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks 300700'88lx-i. Would you happen to have any pictures.

Justin86
05-02-2005, 06:36 PM
hey another southern oregon 3g. 300700'88lx-i pretty much nailed it and the AEBS mani is the best one for the money esp for our engine. We need to have the longer runers keep the low end power. The EVAC is a must and the only other way to get rid of the EGR completely is to swap to OBD-1 which is a pita. Stick with a stock B16 TB and fuel rail, you really don't need bigger with the mods you have.

Slipknotcraig133
05-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks Justin. Hey i have some friends in grants pass we might have to meet sometime.

Justin86
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
yea once my car is running, if it ever does..........

Slipknotcraig133
05-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Yea i just blew the wheel bearings, axles, and tranny out of mine. I got pissed and my car was facing one direction and i was wanting to go the other direction so i revved till it tached and dumped it with the wheel turned all the way and she gave. So mine has been sitting for a while too.

300700'88lx-i
05-02-2005, 11:08 PM
I just noticed that you have an '86, that means that the idle air control valve (same thing as the EACV) is not located directly on the manifold, so scratch that part of what I said, you won't need to worry about getting one. I don't have any pictures of the manifold on my car, I put it on about a month ago, and my car's been at home in Redding while I'm at school in Davis so I haven't had a chance to take any.

As a little side note, if you're having trouble finding a b16 fuel rail, any b-series fuel rail will work, I'm running a b18a fuel rail, and it seems to have worked out better because I was able to use the stock banjo fitting with a little bit of modification, I don't think you'll be able to do this with a b16 fuel rail. I'm pretty sure that a d-series fuel rail from a 5th or 6th gen Civic will work too, someone correct me if otherwise is known. A throttle body from these Civics will work too, it just isn't that big, they're usually the same bore as the '88-'89 Accord.

Once again, good luck

joker2
05-03-2005, 09:48 AM
OK, here's the thread I did awhile ago, hopefully the pics will help you out.... http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=28412 :cool:

Slipknotcraig133
05-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I found the aebs manifold that you guys were talking about last night for like 130. That probly will be the one i go with. What kind of power gains did you notice. Thanks joker for the pics helped me out.

joker2
05-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Your power gains are basically going to come in the mid to top end side.... What I should have done was run the car with the stock cam and new mani., then compared it to my current setup of reground cam plus the new mani.... I can tell you this, it pulls very nicely through redline, especially the top end.... :rockon:

Slipknotcraig133
05-03-2005, 04:03 PM
so its worth the time and effort to get it done.

Civvy
05-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I wonder if the b18 would be better for low-end?

joker2
05-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Yeah, that's true if you have some mods to go along with it.... Like my engine is totally rebuilt from top to bottom plus MSD ignition, adjustable timing gear, headers with full out exhaust, P&P head, FPR, reground cam and the block was overbored so you can see once I added the mani. it was all that much better..... And to compensate for gaining more top end, I advanced the timing a little.... :cool:

Slipknotcraig133
05-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Well once i get this done hopefully toward the middle end of this month, a cam will be next.