PDA

View Full Version : Whole new interior

w00tw00t111
05-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Hey guys I was wanting to re-upholster my 3g. I've read some threads about using vynel (spelling?) spray paint. That is all fine and dandy but, the questions I have is carpet.
I read this thread link (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39054&highlight=carpet) and he used carpet paint on the side carpet in the door panels. I was wondering if this will work on the actual carpet that your feet will step on. If that's not a good idea then I know that there is always the possibility of getting brand new carpet. The carpet that you can buy that is pre-cut is pretty expensive. What I was wondering is whether or not I could take all the carpet out, lay it flat go to jo-ann's fabrics or a carpet store. Buy carpet and then trace the original carpet with a sharpie onto the new carpet.
Would either of those work as options instead of buying a "carpet kit"?

2. When I do the carpet and spray the vinyl I would also want to change out the seats. The driver seat I would probably replace with a "racing" seat but then the side seat and the back seat would need to be replaced. From what I have read, recovering seats is pretty difficult. If the passenger seat is just to hard for a beginner then I could always pick up another seat. From like a s2000. But the back seat would still be a problem.

Thanks for all your input!!

shedboy
05-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Buy the new carpet. It will be a major hassle any other way and you will probably not be happy with the outcome. If you go to the trouble to take out your carpet then replace it. You will be much happier. $150 bucks is all. :stupid:

kaltenacht
05-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey guys I was wanting to re-upholster my 3g. I've read some threads about using vynel (spelling?) spray paint. That is all fine and dandy but, the questions I have is carpet.
I read this thread link (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39054&highlight=carpet) and he used carpet paint on the side carpet in the door panels. I was wondering if this will work on the actual carpet that your feet will step on. If that's not a good idea then I know that there is always the possibility of getting brand new carpet. The carpet that you can buy that is pre-cut is pretty expensive. What I was wondering is whether or not I could take all the carpet out, lay it flat go to jo-ann's fabrics or a carpet store. Buy carpet and then trace the original carpet with a sharpie onto the new carpet.

2. When I do the carpet and spray the vinyl I would also want to change out the seats. The driver seat I would probably replace with a "racing" seat but then the side seat and the back seat would need to be replaced. From what I have read, recovering seats is pretty difficult. If the passenger seat is just to hard for a beginner then I could always pick up another seat. From like a s2000. But the back seat would still be a problem.

Thanks for all your input!!

I am currently restoring the interior of my Accord. I found that the best vinyl paint to use it put out by Dupli-Color. Im using the High Gloss Black. You can get it at Autozone for 5 or 6 bucks a can but it is worth it. And if you doing all the interior like I am (basically anything plastic or vinyl) be prepared to spend enough for 5 or 6 cans. But anyway It works out very well as long as you DONT put an primer coat on the area you are painting. Just wash it then paint it directly after it dries. Put a couple of coats on it. As far as paint on fabric I have tried it with my armrest and the results I didnt care for it. Really stiff and what not. I've looked around for carpet kits but I dont think they are worth the money. What I plan to do is goto wal-mart or someplace like that and just buy some heavy rolls of carpet and do it myself. Cheaper that way. I think it would be easier just to stick the carpet in the car and trim what you dont need. But then again its up to you. But I wouldnt recommend buying a pre-fitted piece if you dont want to spend to much money. :slap:

89accord_lxi_coupe
05-03-2005, 01:38 PM
i was gonna mention the copperhead project from the show TRUCKS, but i checked and they only have a parts list on it now. they've had it done for a while, but they completely redid the carpet using a kit. it's gonna take a lot of carpet to account for any shaping in the floor pan. if you can get the carpet out as "kept together" as you can you could get some good measurements. i know steamers are good in leather working to help stretch it, not sure if the same principle applies for carpeting. probably not. are there products to help protect carpet from stains? if so, treat it with that stuff when you put it in, to help cut down on future stains. that company for the copperhead carpet was Early Classics Enterprises, just as a side note.

Vanilla Sky
05-03-2005, 02:31 PM
from seeign one of these replacement carpets in person, all i can say is go that route... quality carpet, and it's new... don't have to worry about the old dirt in it or wear... just trim it and install it... that's the best way to do the carpet in these cars... and for $150 you're not gonna get that quality of carpet and padding... that's not counting the time you have to spend forming it up...

and if you're wanting a black interior, try to find a full black one... i'm pretty against interior paints as they wear and crack pretty fast...

as for seats, i'd just get something like a s2000 seat for both the front seats... very comfortable and nicely form fitting seats... not to mention they have solid frames and can be bought second-hand at a junkyard or on the internet

superguillermo
05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
yes you can mold your own carpet using a steamer. It will take lots of time and most importantly some patience! Sounds like fun...might be changing some interior colors soon.

hondaaccord_86
05-03-2005, 04:49 PM
heres a picture of mine for you guys to get some ideas...

Trick87Accord
07-06-2005, 06:22 PM
How Do The S2000 Seats Fit, Perfect Or Do You Have To Do Some Work?

Trick87Accord
07-06-2005, 06:26 PM
HERE IS A WEBSITE THAT I FOUND THE FORM FITTED CARPET FOR $119 I THINK THAT PRETTY CHEAP.
http://www.stockinteriors.com/autocarpet.asp?Itemid=2648&MakeId=10&ModelId=231

lostforawhile
07-06-2005, 07:11 PM

Thanks for all your input!!that carpet spray is great if you want carpet brillo. i would get rid of the tacky ass carpet on the door panels, thats one trend from the 80's i'm glad is pretty much gone. the paint for the vinyl will work but not the crap from walmart,auto part stores etc. www.eastwood.com they carry pro stuff, it's more expensive but for all the work the money should not be a factor. there is also a primer that you use,that makes a world of difference in the outcome. you can do a nice job if you take your time, just get enough material to do all the seats and the door panels etc. al at once. that way if you want to do one part at a time you already have the material and it's the same lot and will match. use a quality glue, don't use the hardware store glue it's not designed for an automotive enviorment and will not hold up. use proff trim shop type glue. i reccomend conbond but you need a sprayer an aircompresser and a respirator, a real one not a dust mask. i was in the hospital for three days after using that stuff without a mask. but it STICKS. here are some pics believe it or not this is my first full interior. i sewed everything myself too. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00019.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00018.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00020.jpg autocarpetoriginals.com i saw their stuff in person at the giant car show here really good quality click on their site got to products, put in the year and model of car and there is an entire section on 86-89 accord. there are carpets for the two door and four door and mats for the automatic or manual

lostforawhile
07-06-2005, 07:22 PM
heres a picture of mine for you guys to get some ideas...
looks good, you just need some airplane parts hehe just kidding, really does look good though

lostforawhile
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
that carpet spray is great if you want carpet brillo. i would get rid of the tacky ass carpet on the door panels, thats one trend from the 80's i'm glad is pretty much gone. the paint for the vinyl will work but not the crap from walmart,auto part stores etc. www.eastwood.com they carry pro stuff, it's more expensive but for all the work the money should not be a factor. there is also a primer that you use,that makes a world of difference in the outcome. you can do a nice job if you take your time, just get enough material to do all the seats and the door panels etc. al at once. that way if you want to do one part at a time you already have the material and it's the same lot and will match. use a quality glue, don't use the hardware store glue it's not designed for an automotive enviorment and will not hold up. use proff trim shop type glue. i reccomend conbond but you need a sprayer an aircompresser and a respirator, a real one not a dust mask. i was in the hospital for three days after using that stuff without a mask. but it STICKS. here are some pics believe it or not this is my first full interior. i sewed everything myself too. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00019.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00018.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/Image00020.jpg autocarpetoriginals.com i saw their stuff in person at the giant car show here really good quality click on their site got to products, put in the year and model of car and there is an entire section on 86-89 accord. there are carpets for the two door and four door and mats for the automatic or manual
the link at the bottom of this is probably the best quality you will get for the money around 160 bucks i talked to the vendor in person saw the samples and they will send you a sample if you want. these guys are pros they sell carps for high dollar restorations.

w00tw00t111
07-06-2005, 11:51 PM
that carpet spray is great if you want carpet brillo. i would get rid of the tacky ass carpet on the door panels, thats one trend from the 80's i'm glad is pretty much gone. the paint for the vinyl will work but not the crap from walmart,auto part stores etc. www.eastwood.com they carry pro stuff, it's more expensive but for all the work the money should not be a factor. there is also a primer that you use,that makes a world of difference in the outcome. you can do a nice job if you take your time, just get enough material to do all the seats and the door panels etc. al at once. that way if you want to do one part at a time you already have the material and it's the same lot and will match. use a quality glue, don't use the hardware store glue it's not designed for an automotive enviorment and will not hold up. use proff trim shop type glue. i reccomend conbond but you need a sprayer an aircompresser and a respirator, a real one not a dust mask. i was in the hospital for three days after using that stuff without a mask. but it STICKS. here are some pics believe it or not this is my first full interior. i sewed everything myself too. autocarpetoriginals.com i saw their stuff in person at the giant car show here really good quality click on their site got to products, put in the year and model of car and there is an entire section on 86-89 accord. there are carpets for the two door and four door and mats for the automatic or manual
When you redid your seats how did you know what to do? Had you ever done sewing work before? What could I replace the carpet on the door with? I was thinking of trying my hand at Carbon Fibre. Fiber glass is getting kinda of boring JK. But there again Fiber Glass is always an option too. I just don't know how exactly that would look. Also I picked up Airbrush Action today and in the Ask the magazine section someone asked how you paint dashes. The author of the magazine said that you can just paint it but, he said it looks better and lasts longer if you cover the dash in a layer of fiber glass first. But I thought that didn't work? Like it wouldn't stick. So what's up with that?

hondaaccord_86
07-07-2005, 02:06 AM
it'll stick. you just have to clean off all dirt and oil. use rubbing alcohol to clean before doing any work on it.

w00tw00t111
07-07-2005, 03:32 AM
it'll stick. you just have to clean off all dirt and oil. use rubbing alcohol to clean before doing any work on it.
Alright. Thanks.
I also had another idea that I was wondering about for months. What would it look like if you pull out all your carpet and sound deading and all that stuff. Then put a flat layer of MDF like 1/4 or 1/2" and then put a layer or two of fiber glass and then bondo'd and paint it. What do you think this would look like? Would it save any weight over carpet and sound deading? Makes you think. :rice: ???

lostforawhile
07-07-2005, 04:44 AM
When you redid your seats how did you know what to do? Had you ever done sewing work before? What could I replace the carpet on the door with? I was thinking of trying my hand at Carbon Fibre. Fiber glass is getting kinda of boring JK. But there again Fiber Glass is always an option too. I just don't know how exactly that would look. Also I picked up Airbrush Action today and in the Ask the magazine section someone asked how you paint dashes. The author of the magazine said that you can just paint it but, he said it looks better and lasts longer if you cover the dash in a layer of fiber glass first. But I thought that didn't work? Like it wouldn't stick. So what's up with that?
it just takes practice thats all i've done sewing before i've just never attempted to do an entire interior like this before. i changed it several times before i was happy. this interior took several years before i was happy with it. still have to install the carpet yet. there really isn't a right and wrong way to do it however you like it. you can use vinal on the doors if you wantor fiberglass whatever you like. why not get some junk door panels from a junkyard you could probably get them for next to nothing, doesn't matter wha they are off of, and use them to practice on? if you aren't farmiliar with painting vinal dashes stick with a quality pro dash color. you really have to clean it super good because of the the years of armour all and stuff. did you ever see the episode of unique whips where they were trying to paint the dash and it kept messing up? those guys were pros and they were having problems with a new dash too.

snow_man_20
07-07-2005, 04:46 AM
i really like hondaaccord 86 interior that's looks good. looks hard to keep clean but looks great.

lostforawhile
07-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Alright. Thanks.
I also had another idea that I was wondering about for months. What would it look like if you pull out all your carpet and sound deading and all that stuff. Then put a flat layer of MDF like 1/4 or 1/2" and then put a layer or two of fiber glass and then bondo'd and paint it. What do you think this would look like? Would it save any weight over carpet and sound deading? Makes you think. :rice: ??? mfd s in wood?????!!!!!!! the floor isn't flat for one thing,it would weigh a ton, and it would soak up moisture like a spongebob. stick with the carpet.

snow_man_20
07-07-2005, 05:01 AM
mfd s in wood?????!!!!!!! the floor isn't flat for one thing,it would weigh a ton, and it would soak up moisture like a spongebob. stick with the carpet.

:lol: i missed that one

lostforawhile
07-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Alright. Thanks.
I also had another idea that I was wondering about for months. What would it look like if you pull out all your carpet and sound deading and all that stuff. Then put a flat layer of MDF like 1/4 or 1/2" and then put a layer or two of fiber glass and then bondo'd and paint it. What do you think this would look like? Would it save any weight over carpet and sound deading? Makes you think. :rice: ???
here's a replay if you missed it the first time. don't mean to laugh,but please don't try this one you re going to end up making a disaster out of your car. there was an advertisment on ebay a few years back where this guy made a body kit for a nissan out of plywood, that's what is so funny

w00tw00t111
07-07-2005, 05:30 PM
here's a replay if you missed it the first time. don't mean to laugh,but please don't try this one you re going to end up making a disaster out of your car. there was an advertisment on ebay a few years back where this guy made a body kit for a nissan out of plywood, that's what is so funny
OMG. Hahahaa. Nice

lostforawhile
07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
if you try to put that wood down you are going to trap water between the wood and the floor plus the bondo isn't meant to put pressure on it's going to crack. when i moved ito my old apartment someone had tried to fix the kitchen floor like that and it looked like a jig saw puzzle. they used about ten cans of bondo because i found the cans in the carport. it kept coming up in chunks. now if you had an old floor pan without the seats or anything in it you could coat it with mold release and lay fiberglass mat over it. if you made it in sections you could carpet each section and attach it in place. that would also give you edges and you could do a pattern. hmmmm?

lostforawhile
07-07-2005, 06:09 PM
if you want to paint the dash go to an automotive paint store and ask for a plastic prep in a spray botle. do NOT use flammable products to clean the dash or any plastic parts, plastic and cloth creates static electricity+flammable product KABLAM!!!!i heard of a guy in a detail shop recently who was cleaning paint off plastic with laquer thinner when the static ignited the thinner. didn't make it eithier i heard. alchol is a good substitute if you can't afford the other. most plastic prep is alchol based anyway.

a20a3accordlxi
07-08-2005, 09:13 AM
heres another link for carpet. they got some cool neon colors. http://www.mmrusa.com/carpet.htm

lostforawhile
07-08-2005, 03:00 PM
heres another link for carpet. they got some cool neon colors. http://www.mmrusa.com/carpet.htmyea that other site has some carpet colors they call extreme. same thing. the lime green is more rice though

firelizard
07-19-2005, 09:29 PM
if you want to paint the dash go to an automotive paint store and ask for a plastic prep in a spray botle. do NOT use flammable products to clean the dash or any plastic parts, plastic and cloth creates static electricity+flammable product KABLAM!!!!i heard of a guy in a detail shop recently who was cleaning paint off plastic with laquer thinner when the static ignited the thinner. didn't make it eithier i heard. alchol is a good substitute if you can't afford the other. most plastic prep is alchol based anyway.

But alcohol is flammable too.... :uh:

How hard is it to get carpet to "mold" to a surface properly without bumps and stuff? Does it require cutting it into sections or can one big piece go in and get glued *(?) to the floor?

*what does hold it down? I can't imagine glue being used but if there's absolutely nothing, won't it wrinkle and move around?

w00tw00t111
07-19-2005, 10:08 PM

How hard is it to get carpet to "mold" to a surface properly without bumps and stuff? Does it require cutting it into sections or can one big piece go in and get glued *(?) to the floor?

*what does hold it down? I can't imagine glue being used but if there's absolutely nothing, won't it wrinkle and move around?
Hey thanks for bringing that up again. That's a really insightful question that I'm glad you asked! Any help would be great!

lostforawhile
07-20-2005, 03:26 AM

*what does hold it down? I can't imagine glue being used but if there's absolutely nothing, won't it wrinkle and move around?the carpet is usually molded in one big piece,thats why it's so hard to do yourself,it's not glued down at all it's just achored at the edges. the alcholol based plastic cleaner doesn't present th explosion hazard of the other cleaners because it evaporates so quickly. the other cleaners build up a flamable residue that takes a lot longer to evaporate.

firelizard
07-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Ah, thanks. I feel smarter now :)

lostforawhile
07-20-2005, 02:00 PM
i just don't want anybody else getting burned like that guy did. i had never really thought about it until that happened.

3G Jester
07-20-2005, 02:21 PM
just sent out for samples....ill let you know how it is when i get it.

lostforawhile
07-20-2005, 03:43 PM
who ar you getting your carpet samples from, i looked at the ones from auto carpet originals and they looked good,they were here for the giant car corral and swap meet that is held here every year. i can't figure out why in the middle of nowhere they hold one of the biggest shows in the country? when they come back i'm going to pick up my carpet at the show.