PDA

View Full Version : bottom end rebuild problems

nappyroots827
05-02-2005, 07:15 PM
well this is good, i just got done putting new pistons and rings in my 87 accord lx (efi swap)...I started it up and there is a real loud rattle, but i think its just the exhaust cuz when i crank it without spart it doesn't do it, only when its running, so its nothing internal, but when i start it up, it misses real bad, the distributor cap and rotor are new and plugs are new, wires are fairly new, whats goin on, i know its a major job, but its missing, thats not something with internals

nappyroots827
05-02-2005, 08:13 PM
any help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez?

mouchyn
05-02-2005, 08:20 PM
you waited for an hour before begging? sheesh.

well, did you do any troubleshooting yourself? pull spark plug wires one by one with the engine on. If the sound goes away when you pull a spark plug wire off, that piston assembly is messed up.

disconnect the downpipe from the exhaust manifold for a few minutes. does the rattle go away?

have you done a valve lash adjustment?

as for the missing... i would do a compression test just to make sure the engine has built compression properly. then i would look into the ignition system to make sure each pistons is getting a good strong spark. spark testers are cheap. if the ignition system (ignition module, ignition coil, dizzy, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires) is fine, then move on to fuel.

attach a fuel pressure gauge and find out if you're getting adequae pressure. what kind of condition were the injectors in when you installed them?

nappyroots827
05-02-2005, 08:25 PM
well, i gave up for tonight cuz it was cold and raining, but tomorrow im gonna try and figure out the rattling, hopefully thats just the exhaust hittin somethin, ill check the compression too, i wanted to do that anyways, and ill take a look at the plugs while there out but they should be good, the valves are all in fine shape, im not losin air through them at all, i couldn't turn the motor over for the life of me with the head on and the timing belt still off, as for the missing, im wondering if it isn't fuel, i haven't had any problems with fuel before this, but maybe having the injectors out in the weather for a while screwed em up, i got some integra injectors in here but i don't see them just going bad, especially since they stayed dry atleast....i dunno, i guess its all part of puttin a motor back together, but like i said, when i crank the motor without the wires on, it sounds smooth as can be....but this is my first time with a motor rebuild so i probably forgot something stupid, plus tomorrow im gonna go get about 10 ft. of vacuum line, cuz mine are lookin a little worn

mouchyn
05-02-2005, 09:12 PM
time to bust out the multimeter and find out the culprit. ohm out the plug wires, test the coil and ignition module.

nappyroots827
05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
well i put new plugs in but they fouled up real bad, i just replaced em, it helped a little bit, and when i was fooooolin around today, i noticed a lot of the vacuum lines are cracked and screwed up, im gonna mess with that, and this is a stupid question but when the engine is at top dead center, should the distributor not be firing at the number one cylinder (closest to cam gear), that would make sense to me, but when i popped off the cap, it was pointing at the number 3 cylinder.....i dunno, it could be right? haha

88Accord-DX
05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
when the engine is at top dead center, should the distributor not be firing at the number one cylinder (closest to cam gear), that would make sense to me, but when i popped off the cap, it was pointing at the number 3 cylinder.....i dunno, it could be right? haha
TDC is the #1 cylinder on it's compression stroke. The distributor should be pointing at #1 spark plug wire on the distributor.