PDA

View Full Version : touch up gone bad -- yes another thread

HaShfIeNd
05-02-2005, 09:57 PM
the guy i bought this car from apparently tried to fix some rust spot around the antenna area with some kind of epoxy crap... i'm not really sure what it is but damn its ugly! also apparently put the antenna on before it dried so now the screws are like stuck in it or something i can't get it off, this is annoying!! i want to properly take care of this rust mark.. guess i'm just going to have to break the antenna off or something? anyone know what this stuff might
be? figure once i get the antenna off i just have to sand the rest of it the crap off, sand it down, get some bondo/primer/paint sound good? (i'm new at all this stuff so i'm just double checking before i jump right in on this project)

here are some pictures...

oh it also causes my antenna not to work properly
:uh:
http://hashfiend.kicks-ass.net/carpics/rustmark.jpg
http://hashfiend.kicks-ass.net/carpics/rustmark2.jpg
http://hashfiend.kicks-ass.net/carpics/rustmark3.jpg

Busted_Blue
05-02-2005, 10:05 PM
You know you are making ALOT of threads in one day. Seriously, you should take some time, pause and take it slow day by day man!

Try using a blowdryer and heating it up and see if that softens the epoxy at all since it is still fresh.

HaShfIeNd
05-02-2005, 10:27 PM
hehe yeah i know, arg its just that these are things that i personally have been thinking of for a while and doing a lot of searching/research on this site and what not,

just been a couple things i've been curious about i have been reluctant to post many things because i can usually find previous posts that answer my queston, but i figured since i had some time on my hands today i'd take some photos and post the various questons/projects i was thinking of and see what came up over time... but i don't mean to be annoying...

.. this was just something that i always noticed when i got the car and just thought it was odd?

cheers

*edit* oh oops i didn't mean to say it just happend -- i think the previous owner was trying to fix a rust spot and spooged all this stuff all over. Theres a couple other spots it looks like he tried to "touch up" on also with the same stuff... so its quite hard and old, i don't know guess i'll just have to cut it off or something just kind of annoying... but thanks always appriciate the effort =>

DBMaster
05-03-2005, 06:36 AM
It is probably one of those "rust conversion" treatments that supposedly chemically converts rust (iron oxide) into a hard black coating like anodizing (basically controlled corrosion) aluminum. Problem is that stuff like that works better in the lab than on the street. It seems like the stuff does nothing for the back side of the sheet metal so the rust will continue underneath or inside.

You basically have to chisel or cut away the stuff that looks like epoxy. The screws are most likely fused into the rust/converted rust. You might just need to drill them out. When you get done you may end up with a big hole that will require more repair than you are prepared to perform.

mr eff
05-03-2005, 09:53 AM
wait wait wait....

can you point out where the rust is on the diagram again, please!?!