PDA

View Full Version : launching techniques?

bobafett
08-07-2002, 01:29 PM
how do you guys launch your 3g's when your racing? i am just kinda curious if people have different strategies.

AT people are welcome to post, but i have a manual.

88LXi68
08-07-2002, 01:45 PM
slip that clutch!

pimp86LX
08-07-2002, 03:57 PM
nutral drop!! j/k thats bad

D3.......vvvrrrrom D2....vvrrrrrrroooomm D3....

doug
08-07-2002, 04:28 PM
1.push in clutch,
2.tach to 2 grand,
3.let out clutch,
4.as it starts to catch, press accelerator pedal,

the sensing of when the clutch is nearing a lock and at the same
time accelerating so you don't burn or glaze took some practice, if I'm nervous I still screw it up. I start release in the low rpm range.

I've found these steps are for me a happy compromise between having fun starts and kinda decent clutch life span.

OldSchoolSwap
08-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Rev to 8.5 K and drop the clutch :D j/k

bobafett
08-07-2002, 07:29 PM
you bastard oss, i was looking forward to a good racing technique from you!!! lol. oh well....
:bh: :bandit:

all i do now is slow starts. without even chirping the tires, cause whenever i rev high to launch i feel like my clutch is just getting trashed..

i just shift quick, and once the clutch is out i go WOT. :) nothing special, and i am sure its slow as hell, since i start off slow!

ACCORD EX
08-08-2002, 01:06 PM
first gear always sucks don't worry !
my best gears are 2nd and 3rd ! :D

MIKE

dXsquared
08-08-2002, 01:32 PM
i can shift soo hard and fast it skips my cd player. it shakes and the tires chirp. its fukin sweet. i drive viper style!
Travis
NO :rice: HERE

89bumblethumper
08-08-2002, 08:28 PM
aight...i hear about this D3 to D2 to D3 stuff....wahts it stand for....i know im retarded

pimp86LX
08-08-2002, 08:54 PM
k, with automatic cars. it has D1,2,3,4 on the shifter....

89bumblethumper
08-08-2002, 08:58 PM
OOOOOOOOOOO...gotcha....i got me a standard...so i was wondering if it ment downshift....but i didn't think so...thanks for clarifying

pimp86LX
08-08-2002, 08:59 PM
:D wish i had a standard

bobafett
08-08-2002, 09:08 PM
haha i have a hawaian buddy who calls them "standard" and everyone makes fun of him.... though i dont really see the big deal... :) i guess its the accent! lol :smokin:

do you guys with AT's put the brakes on and get the rpms up a bit? isnt that callled torque braking? it seems scary, but i have heard of people racing with that strategy!

pimp86LX
08-08-2002, 09:10 PM
yeah that only works with RW drive cars

bobafett
08-08-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
i can shift soo hard and fast it skips my cd player. it shakes and the tires chirp. its fukin sweet. i drive viper style!
Travis
NO :rice: HERE

me thinks you need a new cd player!

yeah my 4th > 5th shift i have to be careful to feather the clutch or i just light up the wheels and get mean wheel hop!... its scary, i hardly know how to control all this power! :-)

no matter how rough (not fast) my shifts are my 11 year old cd player worked ok.... and i was real hard on that clutch for the first month or so... i am used to it now, and i am not so mean to it!

bobafett
08-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
yeah that only works with RW drive cars

hmm, i have heard of eclipse guys doing it.. i understand it would do a burnout in a RWD car. but doesnt the rpms being higher when you let off the brake help you get a jump off the line since your engine is already at a higher rpm? i dunno, i have never driven an auto when i would try a racing launch! lol...

pimp86LX
08-08-2002, 09:18 PM
hmm i'm not sure how i'd work in a FWD car but i used to do it in my toyota 4runner all the time in 4-LO :smokin:

bobafett
08-08-2002, 09:39 PM
hehe, i will have to guinea pig the idea with my gf's car... lol..

its a plymouth laser, like the mistu eclipse/.. :)

oh well... i still dont knwo how to launch MY car... i guess i will just have to rev up high and get the clutch out quick (i cant stand the idea of DROPPING the clutch!)

pimp86LX
08-08-2002, 09:43 PM
ewww..all my opinions about the laser have been shot..theres a wanna be supra looking F&F laser that vvrrrooommms by my house at least 5 times a day

its even got the same orange paint and wing as the F&F supra....blah and worst of all the guy speaks rice-ish...with his yo's and G's

not that your cars bad that guy just ruined it for me :-(

PhydeauX
08-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Holding the break on to launch a fwd auto is the only way to go for a good launch with the thing. What you really need is to get a higher stall converter in there, but where are you going to get one of those for a 3g. I used to do when I *ahem* raced my corolla before I converted it to 5speed and started to swap the motor (I wouldn't really call it racing, the 70hp that thing put to its flywheel running through a 3speed auto didn't make for much of a race). I'd say that holding the break made the launch feel like the diference between a goped and a 50cc dirt bike.

andy

bobafett
08-09-2002, 05:57 AM
cool, so it IS a valid strategy.. now maybe some of you auto guys can win a race!

lol LX. her car is stock and has wheels... its not very obnoxious! http://amw81.netfirms.com/images/newwheels.jpg

kennycm
08-09-2002, 07:26 AM
I have an auto which i am son putting nos in. For now, i just remain calm, hit the gas and take the hell off. I've smoked many a prey.