PDA

View Full Version : timing

whowasdat
05-03-2005, 10:19 PM
ok heres the deal, i took me car in for a pre smog and they said my timing is off and the mechanic cant set the timing cause there's no marks...wat is goin on here? when my motor was rebuilt wasnt they supposed to set the marks? this weekend im having a timing belt put on hopefully my friend can set the timing and mark it. wats the timing degree anyway? also under the title NO (PPM) my number was super high...requirement was like 800 n sumthin and my number was in the thousands and i was told to use methonal and that will bring it down, is this true and is it safe for my motor, if not, wat will work?

AccordEpicenter
05-03-2005, 10:36 PM
make sure the choke is opening all the way, the timing marks are on the flywheel. If i were you, try a new cat and if that doesnt work, try a new carb

A20A1
05-03-2005, 10:45 PM
For ignition timing
First you disable the vacuum advance and plug the vacuum line to avoid a vacuum leak... Then point the light at the fylwheel or torque convertor plate thingy and look for the marks.
----------------- -------- -----

For crank cam gear timing / NOT for ignition timing
You need to allign the cam gear CYL # 1 "UP" TDC with the crank TDC on the flywheel/TC

Here are pics of the cam gear markings
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39319
----------------- -------- -------

whowasdat
05-06-2005, 09:34 PM
ok, tommorow my grandpas friend is coming by to replace my timing belt and try n set my timing n markings...hopefully he can, if not..i dunno. i replaced the carb already and did all the vacuum lines n i dont know wat else to do except get a new motor but i dont wanna go $600 in to pocket for it when this engine is rebuilt a few years ago but was just sitting in my garage

nutmeg_runner
05-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Before changing the timing belt have your friend position the camshaft pulley with the Up mark up and the indents aligned with the valve cover surface then look through the peep hole on the crankcase on the transmission side. The pointer is supposed to be pointing at the white mark of Top Dead Center.

Bigg_Billy
05-09-2005, 09:44 AM
The first thing you want to do is find the number one plug wire, trace it to the distributor cap, take off the cap, and make a pencil mark on the distributor case below where the number one terminal is. Now turn the crank until the rotor is around this mark, and look through the window on the casing (below the distributor) and line the "T" on the flywheel with the pointer on the casing. (When you get them lined up perfect, put a little white paint on each, this will make them easier to see.) This will position the crank on TDC, now remove the valve cover and timing covers, and as another fellow said the camshaft pulley should have the label "UP" centered and the two indents lined up with the top of the head. Keeping this position and checking it, remove the old belt and put on the new. (Note if the pulleys weren't already lined up that way, you may have jumped a tooth and not known it) Now put it all back together, find the sticker on the hood that tells the degrees before TDC (around 15 for standard 24 for automatic) and set your timing light accordingly. Loosen the distributor, remove and plug the vacuum lines, and start the engine, let it warm up until the fan goes on & off twice. Now turn the distributor until the lines you made line up, as you get closer the engine will smoothen out. Tighten the distributor and hook up your vacuum lines and you're set! Now this is just for timing, you should also set your valve lash and check for compression to be sure you have at least 140 psi in each cylinder. And of course buy a Haynes book for $15 dollars which will tell you all this stuff.

Bill

:rockon: