PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Malfunction

kaltenacht
05-04-2005, 08:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone else as done any work with 88 LXI power windows before. The reason is because my dirver's side power window doesnt want to roll up or down. The motor works in it, and ive messed around with it, but what I have gathered this is the problem: There is a c-shaped gear that is connected to the actual window that moves the window up and down when the motor is activated. Now the other end of the c-shaped gear runs past the actual motor (from what I can tell), so once the motor recieves power the gears in the motor move in the direction (clockwise, or counterclock wise) thus moving the c-shaped gear in the approriate direction. The problem with that is i think the c-shaped gear has gotten knocked off track. Has anyone else had this problem before? If so how did you fix it? Of course my door-panel has been taken off, and I was thinking like I am going to have to take the actual door door apart (that is the metal side), which is beyond what I can do. Any ideas?

:Owned2:

:stupid:

shepherd79
05-04-2005, 08:57 AM
the best fix for that is to replace the motor assembly.
just go to junk yard and get one from there.

HondaBoy
05-04-2005, 09:34 AM
dont know if this would be it, but i had a problem with my left rear window. everything worked on it but it wouldnt roll up or down right. it was the little ball joint thing that had come out of the socket. poped it back in and havent had a problem since. you dont take the whole door apart to get the window regulator out if that's what you need to do. you have to shimmy it around. i've never taken a door apart to get the parts out, that'd be a lot of work it would seem.

GOTWILDRICE
05-04-2005, 11:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone else as done any work with 88 LXI power windows before. The reason is because my dirver's side power window doesnt want to roll up or down. The motor works in it, and ive messed around with it, but what I have gathered this is the problem: There is a c-shaped gear that is connected to the actual window that moves the window up and down when the motor is activated. Now the other end of the c-shaped gear runs past the actual motor (from what I can tell), so once the motor recieves power the gears in the motor move in the direction (clockwise, or counterclock wise) thus moving the c-shaped gear in the approriate direction. The problem with that is i think the c-shaped gear has gotten knocked off track. Has anyone else had this problem before? If so how did you fix it? Of course my door-panel has been taken off, and I was thinking like I am going to have to take the actual door door apart (that is the metal side), which is beyond what I can do. Any ideas?

:Owned2:

:stupid:

Definitely would agree that the wreaking yard would be the place to go. IT sounds like you need to change the regulator- I just did this on my 88 exi and it is really not too difficult (the regulator cost me $12 canadian). First i would detach glass from the regulator bar - if you cant move the window up or down (manually) might be tricky to to access these bolts(removing the speaker helps if the window will go down). Remove glass- from above. Then simply undo all bolts holding the motor/regulator in place and electrical connector to motor - then its just a matter of removing that from inside the door - its a bit of a sqeeze - you have to move the motor/reg around to find the right angle to slip it out (you dont have to cut open the door shell). Then remove motor from gear (pay attention to how the spring fits in) reattach motor to new/used regulator - fit back into door replace all bolts, reattach glass- check to see if working and that glass meets the weather seal correctly at top - if not loosen bolts (that hold regulator mting arm) and move glass into correct place , then re-tighten bolts. That should be it- hope this helps

gotwildrice??