PDA

View Full Version : Moonroof leaking at rear driver side area....Help please

maxcrx
05-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Living in San Francisco with a moonroof is cool, but having a leaking moonroof isn't.

Parked on a slight incline in my driveway and just about to start my car, I was drenched by cold rain water from the rear left driver side area. I know that I didn't open my moonroof or anything like that. But being a retard, I slide open the compartment to see where it was leaking from and more H20 came pouring down my head.

I followed the rules on the forum and did my search and they all conclude that it could be a drainage problem. There are four areas of draining.

My problem is that I only found two front drain area, WHERE ARE THE REAR??
Some say it is behind the rear wheel well, in the truck area or in the bumper area???? What am I supposed to be looking for???

Question:
1. Can someone steer me in the right direction to find the two rear drain for the moonroof?
2. Proper way of draining if I can't get compressed air into it?? SNAKE IT??

I already took a shower, I just dont want to take a shower four or 5 times a day in my car.. :uh:

shepherd79
05-05-2005, 03:53 AM
did you park your car front up or down?
try parking the car front down (dack into the driveway). this should stop it for a while untill you guys get better weather.

w261w261
05-05-2005, 04:02 AM
Relax. Go into the trunk. Remove the left side trunk liner. Note the plastic tubing coming down and exiting through the side of the car. Pull out the tubing and you'll see a little flap thingy that functions as a, what?, something to keep the bugs out of the tube? Either clean it out and spray some lube on it, or cut it off. Depending on how much schmutz has accumulated in the tube, you may have to stick something up into it. Have a little container available so the water in the tube which has backed up won't drain all over. Shove the tube back through the side hole. Test by parking the car nose up with the left side lower than the right and pour a cup of water into the sunroof channel. Watch for drainage. Repeat for other side.

Take a look at the back of the fender while you're in there to see if there's some rust coming through, and fix as needed.

YK86
05-05-2005, 11:58 AM
I had a simluar problem in my 90 Accord. If the drainage tubes are clear (like mine were), you may need to adjust the shims on the rear of the glass. If it's not pressing up on the roof frame properly, it doesn't seal well allowing water to puddle up on the inside of the sunroof housing (not in the outer channels where the water just runs right out). If you check Paul's online manual, there should be a section on how to adjust the shims (it's very straight forward). Also make sure the seal around the glass isn't cracked or bad.

Blkblurr
05-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Relax. Go into the trunk. Remove the left side trunk liner. Note the plastic tubing coming down and exiting through the side of the car. Pull out the tubing and you'll see a little flap thingy that functions as a, what?, something to keep the bugs out of the tube? Either clean it out and spray some lube on it, or cut it off. Depending on how much schmutz has accumulated in the tube, you may have to stick something up into it. Have a little container available so the water in the tube which has backed up won't drain all over. Shove the tube back through the side hole. Test by parking the car nose up with the left side lower than the right and pour a cup of water into the sunroof channel. Watch for drainage. Repeat for other side.

Take a look at the back of the fender while you're in there to see if there's some rust coming through, and fix as needed.

You got it!. Did the same thing to mine and it fixed the same problem.

maxcrx
05-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks w261w261. Your information really helped me out and it works wonder.

If anyone has a 87 LXi, follow his advice and fix the leaking moonroof. Took off the left side trunk lining and was looking for an hose. There are two black cables also there..one for the gas pop up and the trunk release.

The one you need to look for is tuck away into the truck firewall away and it is an CLEAR hose (the size of an socket) with little flaps to it. Now there is no leak.

Busted_Blue
05-23-2005, 08:04 PM
I had a leaky sunroof around christmas time also. Here is what I did.

I took a strong sturdy hose that could hold a straight line but still bend a bit and attached it to my air compressor. Opened my sunroof and stuck the line inbetween sunroof and headliner and stuck the line into the same hose you talk about. I press the air compressor to shoot out everything and then repeated on the passenger side too. I even jacked up the car and poured water into the roof to make sure it came out in the back of the rear fender.

another option for those who are curious. :D

Blkblurr
05-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Yea that works too. Taking the side panels out of the trunk to get access to the clogged hose is probably a little easier.

possum
05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
hmm.....have been fighting this problem myself for a few years. Tried blowing out the lines with little success. Now that I know where the rear lines are located I will try to fix this one too.

However until it stops raining here and I can get outside, I will have to just keep parking with the nose downhill :uh:

charlie89LXi
05-26-2005, 08:05 AM
hmm.....have been fighting this problem myself for a few years. Tried blowing out the lines with little success. Now that I know where the rear lines are located I will try to fix this one too.

Me too.

Busted_Blue
05-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Yea that works too. Taking the side panels out of the trunk to get access to the clogged hose is probably a little easier.

Well...after doing it my way once and another time for my friend's 88 Civic Si Hatch, I can safely say the hose is alot faster if you know what you are doing. Cause you dont have to remove panels, and that takes the most time.

the first time we did my accord though, it took us about 30 minutes cause we were trying to figure out where the hell the drain holes were above the headliner.