PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Fuel/Carb problem...

Sts_Angel78
08-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Okay, I am not much of a mechanic so here goes. My car was acting like it was not getting fuel so, long story short, I replaced the fuel filters and fuel pump. The filter closest to the carb. does spit out fuel when I crank it over once so there should be no plugged up lines, right? It simply acts like I have no gas in the tank yet I do. Any suggestions would really, really help me out.

A20A1
08-07-2002, 06:05 PM
Hmm make sure the float isn't stuck...

you could also have a vacuum leak...

When do you notice the fuel problem?
At idle
or
At Cruising/Accelerating

Sts_Angel78
08-07-2002, 06:08 PM
It doesn't matter if it is at idle or what. My car starts to do this about the time it starts to warm up. Kinda like the choke is not working correctly.

A20A1
08-07-2002, 06:32 PM
How about after it warms up?

Sts_Angel78
08-07-2002, 06:35 PM
After it warms up it WON'T run! Like, if I went out there right now, while the choke is closed, I bet it would start up. It has been a while since I last had it running!

Sts_Angel78
08-07-2002, 06:57 PM
All be damned! As I was saying, I went out there right now and it fired right up. After it warms up the choke is supposed to open, right? I just don't know what to do now!

A20A1
08-07-2002, 07:23 PM
yup the choke is supposed to be open...

So the choke is closed when you start it and it fires right up...

open the choke by hand, does the car die?

hold your hand over the choke but don't block the carb barrels from all air, just enough to make a restriction. Does the idle increase or decrease?

Sts_Angel78
08-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Alright. I opened the choke and it did not die. However, I have been jump starting my car because something is draining juice. I left the cables on my car and the other car while it warmed up because I forgot to take them off. After the temp. gauge was at normal temp I removed the jumper cables and the car ran for close to 15 seconds and stopped running. It now won't start, but I can SEE fuel slowly going into the carb after a few pumps.

what I have done:
Brand New Battery
" New Fuel Filters
" New Fuel Pump
" New Starter

rocky2
08-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Pull the fuse out and leave it out of the rear window defroster. See if it still drains battery

POS carb
08-12-2002, 11:38 AM
maybe the choke heater wire is shorted out, that would explain both the choke not opening and the battery draining

CoAsTeR
08-12-2002, 11:51 AM
how long has it been sitting? battery could be dieing cuz it sits to long, but when it comes to the choke if your car dies when it warms up, just hold the choke open at that point and see what it does. if it runs then I would think obviously you need to test the choke and/or replace it.
I would think the battery and choke are two diff problems, but that last post had a point about checking electric choke wiring causing all the problems... I'll take a look at the wiring diagram for ya...

CoAsTeR
08-12-2002, 11:56 AM
damn.... i got how to fix it right here, but I can't post the pics....

anyone know where I can find the info on where to send the $$ for 3geez foundation? I see the policy etc but not where to send the $$?