PDA

View Full Version : homemade front lip

89accordlxi
08-07-2002, 08:09 PM
OK, I have finally decided that enough was enough. I don't really like the looks of any of the front lips off other cars. So I am going to make my own. Check out the pic and let me know what you all think.

http://www.geocities.com/tvouthilak/frontlip.html

Thanks..
Peace out.

MiGeY
08-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Looks cool but I need a better picture...

These are kind off dark.

Mike89Accordcom
08-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Yeah I was gonna say good job, just need daytime pics!

89accordlxi
08-08-2002, 05:34 AM
whoops, sorry guys. on my home computer the pics were very bright. Must have my brightness turned up to high. Then I look at it on my computer at work at it is very dark. Sorry. I have brightened them up a bit so check again and let me know what you think. I will have the finished product by this week end hopefully so I will have better pics posted then.

Sorry again, hope they are brighter now.

Peace out.

87Hybrid
08-08-2002, 06:47 PM
I like it! How much is it gonna cost you to make?

Vanilla Sky
08-08-2002, 07:02 PM
dude, that looks like the shit... where you getting the parts to make it?

Derick

89AccordExi
08-08-2002, 07:08 PM
i say it loooks pretty coool....for sure

A20A1
08-08-2002, 11:35 PM
You did a great job with those custom speaker covers so I'm sure the lip is a peice of cake. :D

shepherd79
08-09-2002, 04:20 AM
nice job. how long did it take you?
and how did you do it?

89accordlxi
08-09-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
nice job. how long did it take you?
and how did you do it?

Originally posted by 87hybrid
I like it! How much is it gonna cost you to make?

Originally posted by Vanilla Sky
dude, that looks like the shit... where you getting the parts to make it?
Well, it isn't done yet. but I plan on finishing it this weekend. I will have a detailed material and price list when finished but the total shouldn't be more than $35. I got the materials at Lowe's.

Peace y'all

Shagen
08-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Dude that looks sick. Best lip I have seen so get some details soon so that I wont settle for a CRX lip

Chubs87Accord
08-09-2002, 01:54 PM
yeah it does look sweet... i was gonna mcguiver one out of an old integra lip but i wanna know how you did it cause i like yours more

89accordlxi
08-10-2002, 10:19 PM
OK!!! Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages. finally, what we all have been waiting for.......the one the only......Drum roll, drum roll, drum roll. MY FINISHED FRONT LIP!!!!

Check out the new pics and let me know what y'all think. Once again the pictures are at night because I just finished around Midnight. I will get daytime pics tomorrow. Oh yeah, plus materials list and price. You people will not believe how inexpensive of a mod this is. You probably won't even believe me when I tell you what simple material was used that you can find in practically any home improvement store. But it is so late that I will need to do it tomorrow because I don't have any exact prices since the material I used have been sitting in my garage for months now. If I new it was going to be so easy to do, I would have done it a long time ago. Even though it was easy, It still took me about 4-5 hours to to. It will probably be only 2-3 hours now that know what i'm doing. The only thing that I haven't finished yet is a way to attach new lip to bumper. Right now I am just using 3M double stick tape for demonstrational purposes. I would like to make some L-brackets for final attachment method. Since I live in IA, I would like to be able to remove lip for winter driving. Any suggestions on making brackets would be welcomed. Oh yeah, I guess I still need to work on the wrap around where lip ends at fender well also. Enjoy!!!!

Peace out.

Vanilla Sky
08-10-2002, 10:44 PM
is it that rolled vinyl baseboard? that's what it looks like in the dark pics because it's kinda blurred

Derick

89accordlxi
08-11-2002, 08:00 AM
You hit the nail on the head Derick. It is vinyl baseboard. Except I just bought two 4' strips instead of a roll. Some stores will have it on a roll that you can just buy by the foot. I will probably end up making mine again with one long piece because I hava a seam right in the center because I used two pieces.
Well, like Derick discovered, it is just vinyl base board.

1. 4' strip = less than $2(2) = less than $4
2. Gutter grill = less than $2
3. Misc. brackets = ????(Haven't done it yet)

Total bill = probably less than $10

I got 2 day pics so check them out..
peace..

Chubs87Accord
08-11-2002, 11:13 AM
ok... so how did you do it?

Chubs87Accord
08-11-2002, 11:15 AM
where do you find vinyl baseboards... like baseboards for walls? and the guttergrill... as in rain gutters?

89accordlxi
08-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Yes, wall base board and rain gutter guards.

Check out the how-to y'all.

http://www.geocities.com/tvouthilak/frontliphowto.html

I'm out...

3rdgenSLIMER
08-11-2002, 08:54 PM
HEY SWEET!!!!!! i work at lowe's i can get a discount too!!! hahahahahahaha!!!

89accordlxi
08-12-2002, 08:44 AM
Well, just want to inform people that are attempting this mod. Use a very good adhesive to fasten brakets to lip(details in how-to page). On my way to work today, driving 70-75 for 45 miles, the lip went flying off. Damn!!! I didn't go back for it but probably will after work and see if I can find it on the side of the road. I used super glue and hot glue. Guess they didn't hold up to highway forces. I will try silicone next and see if that works or any other suggestions would be great..

Peace out...

killerb09
08-12-2002, 10:19 AM
this probably won't look as nice but you could use rivets to hold teh bracket to teh vynl....then just use soem black paint and make them the same color as the lip....

has anyone attempted to paint the lip another colour other then black?

I made one from a sheet of light steel and it worked well...cept it bent on everythign and anythign over 130k it would start to bend up too....

I have a prototype in mind that would eliminate teh bending at speed but wouldn't do anythign for bumping things....

all it was was a 2-3" piece of metal cut to fit all around the bumper....1" bend in at the front wheels....

then every 6-10" a L shaped braket attached to the car with a self tapping bolt adn attached to the lip with a rivet....

thats it....worked wel..and was complete in like 2 hrs....

Shagen
08-13-2002, 08:26 PM
That's great. I have an Idea for a mod to it that should stiffen it up. GO and but more of the aluminum mesh and attach it to the entire lip. THat way when you attach it to the bumper it will hold the vinal stiff at highway speed

toastyghost
08-14-2002, 12:02 AM
The finished pics are pretty fuckin fly.. good work!

89accordlxi
08-14-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Shagen
That's great. I have an Idea for a mod to it that should stiffen it up. GO and but more of the aluminum mesh and attach it to the entire lip. THat way when you attach it to the bumper it will hold the vinal stiff at highway speed

Hey, that's a great idea. Didn't think of that....

Originally posted by killerb09
this probably won't look as nice but you could use rivets to hold teh bracket to teh vynl....

that is also another good idea, but i discovered something else. I used those plastic automotive panel fasteners and it works great.

Good suggestions fellows. Now i need to figure out how to use the same stuff to make one for the back bumper. Updated pics coming soon.

I'm out...

Chubs87Accord
08-15-2002, 11:23 AM
nice... keep us posted man

86AccordLXsol
08-18-2002, 04:15 PM
that lip is bad ass...i'm gonna start on mine soon..

89accordlxi
08-23-2002, 05:41 AM
Check out some updated pics of front lip and how-to.
Now on to the back bumper. I'll keep you posted.

Later.

Red88Hatch
08-24-2002, 10:44 PM
i have a question about your accord man, Whats with the pin striping?? where did it go?!?! :D (i just wanted to know how you got rid of yours cuz mine has a slight grey one on it........

89accordlxi
08-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Red88Hatch
i have a question about your accord man, Whats with the pin striping?? where did it go?!?! :D (i just wanted to know how you got rid of yours cuz mine has a slight grey one on it........

Yeah, I used to have a red pin stripe. I got rid of it. I used some sticker adhesive remover that I bought at advanced auto parts. But you can get it at any auto parts store. It takes a long time but the stuff does work..

Check out my finished rear bumper lip everyone!!!!
http://www.geocities.com/tvouthilak/rearlip.html

peace out y'all

Red88Hatch
08-24-2002, 11:55 PM
F!!! you are suchs a bastard with your 10 dollar mods that look like 100 dollar mods...... your accord is lookin Phatty with those new details youve put into it, BUT ONE thing is seriously bothering me.....and its those damn tail lights!!!! man that throws me all off :huh: got any ideas on fixing those? or are you gonna leave em be?

TeKKnoTeKK
08-25-2002, 03:39 AM
Now you just need to do the same thing to the back and it will look all fly bro....that front one looks great, that's for sure.

Mantis88LX
08-25-2002, 07:40 AM
what did u make the rear lip outta? that looks sweet

89accordlxi
08-25-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Red88Hatch
BUT ONE thing is seriously bothering me.....and its those damn tail lights!!!! man that throws me all off :huh: got any ideas on fixing those? or are you gonna leave em be?

I know, I know. Those tail lights have been haunting me for a long time now. As a matter of fact, those are going to be my next project. I have been working on a plan to make clears for a long time now but I'm too lazy to try to do it. I might just take the plunge and do one and see how it looks. If it turns out the way I expect it should then it will be the best mod so far, but I'm afraid that it won't turn out the way i wan't it. The only thing I doubt is my ability to bend the plexiglass to the shape of the tail lights. It never turns out right no matter how I do it. Any one with suggestions??

Originally posted by mantis88lx
what did u make the rear lip outta? that looks sweet

Same stuff I made the front lip with. Vinyl base board and gutter grill..

i'm out..

liht
08-25-2002, 11:54 AM
asdfasdfadsf i cant see the rearlip uhg geocities is lame says your page isnt there.

89accordlxi
08-26-2002, 08:32 AM
I'm trying to change from geocities to angelfire. see if this link works.
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/tvouthilak/rearlip.html

Peace out..