PDA

View Full Version : Missing Still

Bigg_Billy
05-09-2005, 04:30 AM
Well I've done a lot of work to my 88 Honda Accord, 2L, Carb, Standard 185,000 mi: New Head gasket, PCV, Adjusted valves, New Plugs, Wires, Rotor, Cap. Compression near 180 in all cylinders, vacuum 21 psi and steady. Still it seems like it is missing. It has plenty of power, accelleration, speed on the highway, but at idle it seems like it is missing and sometimes surging. One thing I did notice while setting the timing was that (I think) sometimes the light didn't flash. I forgot what that meant. Spark from the coil seems good. What am I "missing?"

Bill

shepherd79
05-09-2005, 04:51 AM
it sounds like you need a new distributor.
what kind distributor d you have hitachi or tec?
tec has flat spot on the side that has external ignitor?
you have to rebuild the distributor to get that miss out.

Bigg_Billy
05-09-2005, 05:46 AM
it sounds like you need a new distributor.
what kind distributor d you have hitachi or tec?
tec has flat spot on the side that has external ignitor?
you have to rebuild the distributor to get that miss out.

Thanks, I have the Tec I think (rotor said tec on it), the cap has a raised flat spot, (that is a pain to get behind the thermostat housing). when you say rebuild, what do you mean, and where would I likely get the parts. I see distributors on Ebay for $150 but I wouldn't mind pressing in a bearing or replacing the module if I know where to get the parts. Is there a way to check to be sure the distributor is the bad part?

Thanks again,

Bill

shepherd79
05-09-2005, 10:17 AM
you can buy brand new distributor or you can get parts for it.
you can get parts from autoparts stores or your dealer.
i know advance auto (partsamerica.com) or autozone (autozone.com) have those parts and whole reman. distributors.
when it comes to rotor and distributor cap, you may want to get honda OEM ones. the aftermarket one are known to cause missfire.