PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head: carb fits efi?

superguillermo
05-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Are the cylinder heads for the carb engines the same as for the efi engines? I do know that the carbs have two mounting bolts for the distributor, and efi have three. Would a efi distributor fit onto a carbed?

Here's the story...
I surfed ebay for a head set, but found a complete rebuilt cylinder head (1yr warranty) for a really good price. I did notice in the description mention of a single ear for the distributor, but I bought it anyways. Can I make this work onto the efi?

Please help, thanks.

phrenology
05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Are the cylinder heads for the carb engines the same as for the efi engines? I do know that the carbs have two mounting bolts for the distributor, and efi have three. Would a efi distributor fit onto a carbed?

Here's the story...
I surfed ebay for a head set, but found a complete rebuilt cylinder head (1yr warranty) for a really good price. I did notice in the description mention of a single ear for the distributor, but I bought it anyways. Can I make this work onto the efi?

Please help, thanks.

If you are trying to put a carbed head on an EFI block you won't be able to mount the crank angle sensor for the ECU. I believe this is so, but I'm doing the reverse...converting an EFI to carbed. I used an A20A1 carbed head on my 88 Lxi A20A3 block so they will mate technically. Ask one of the other EFI experts to confirm.
:uh:

superguillermo
05-09-2005, 06:20 PM
If you are trying to put a carbed head on an EFI block you won't be able to mount the crank angle sensor for the ECU. I believe this is so, but I'm doing the reverse...converting an EFI to carbed. I used an A20A1 carbed head on my 88 Lxi A20A3 block so they will mate technically. Ask one of the other EFI experts to confirm.
:uh:

wait...you used a carbed head to an LXi block? Thats exactly what I need. I did check the casting number (JPO) for both...and they match up.

here's the ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969073363&category=33617#ebayphotohosting

SteveDX89
05-09-2005, 06:40 PM
It will bolt up. Use your EFI dizzy. You will only be able to use 2 of the bolts to mount it but it's perfectly fine. All the EFI swap guys do it that way.

phrenology
05-09-2005, 06:43 PM
wait...you used a carbed head to an LXi block? Thats exactly what I need. I did check the casting number (JPO) for both...and they match up.

here's the ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969073363&category=33617#ebayphotohosting

Yes I did but my point is I'm not putting EFI back on the engine. The head will match up you just won't be able to mount the crank angle sensor for the ECU. If you are going to use carburetors then there's no problem. If you are even bothering to replace a head then I would get a fully rebuilt one that's been milled true. Get a good head gasket too!

phrenology
05-09-2005, 06:45 PM
It will bolt up. Use your EFI dizzy. You will only be able to use 2 of the bolts to mount it but it's perfectly fine. All the EFI swap guys do it that way.

Ah thanks for clearifying Steve...I'm not an EFI conversion expert...I'm going backwards with technology!
:slap:

shepherd79
05-09-2005, 06:52 PM
it will work fine. i have carbed head on LXI block. and it works just fine. Actually carbed head is a lot better anyway.
here is what you need to do.
1. remove the cam bearing caps. they hold the camshaft in place.
2. you have to take it apart and replace the right end bearing cap with the one from EFI head. this way you can use EFI distributor. i think the left one, next to cam pulley is the same, but i would replace it anyway. actually you can take the whole assembly from EFI head and drop it on carbed head. it will fit just fine.
don't forget to use EFI camshaft.
if you need more help PM me.

superguillermo
05-09-2005, 06:54 PM

Thanks Steve!

yeah phrenology...i've seen pics of your rebuilt A20...thats too much bling for me!

phrenology
05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks Steve!

yeah phrenology...i've seen pics of your rebuilt A20...thats too much bling for me!

Too much Bling Bling??? Its not covered in Platinum or Diamonds (yet hee hee)? Hmmm I guess you mean that its really clean and rebuilt...It is clean but it sure as hell ain't running yet. When it comes to a clean running Honda motor you can never have too much Bling! Lol :tongue:

bobafett
06-23-2005, 05:52 PM
interesting. shepard, could you elaborate why the carbed head is better? i have a spare carbed head, with low miles, but my car is an 86 lxi EFI.... im gonna rebuild the motor, and im plannging on using the carbed head so i can get headwork done without downtime! :)

im curious why you say its better though

Vanilla Sky
06-23-2005, 06:35 PM
i don't see how either is better. they are the same head, with the minor difference of one trivial part, which doesn't really matter (one of the camshaft whachajiggers), which is where the difference between the EFI and carbed heads lays. the camshafts are different, but aren't really part of the head.

POS carb
06-24-2005, 11:26 AM
It should be fine, I have an LXi head on my carbed engine