PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny Issue

P'impala02
05-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Alright, time to go headfirst into auto's that aren't electronically controlled...

I gotta 87 LX Auto. When going less that WOT, it'll shift gears, no problems. When I open it up though, it'll kick down to first, and never shift out (I went over the redline and still nothing till I let off... I shouldn't be beating this 302k 18 year old engine up like this)..

Anyways, trying to see what anyone thinks. To me, it sounds like a vacuum issue. It shifts gears so I don't see the transmission itself being the issue.

And no, this isn't my sign from God to do a 5-speed swap. Thats what I'm getting another CRX for :werd:

A20A1
05-11-2005, 05:20 PM
I beleive it's internal...

Even with the TV cable maxed out it shouldn't jump past redline... you could check if the TV cable is too tight while an assistant holds the thottle at WOT for you while you check the TV lever and cable adjustment... there is a how-to or FAQ on adjusting the Auto trans HERE: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885 .... anyways if the TV cable was disconnected it will just shift extremely early thru the gears till you end up in 4th assuming you are in D4

You might want to check the trans fluid level
If it's not the fluid then it's more then likely internal
There are no vacuum to the trans... the only part on the carb connected to the trans is the TV cable that like I mentoned above... I doubt it's the cause but you should check it anyways.

POS carb
05-12-2005, 03:19 PM
the only thing you can do about it is play with the TV cable (let a little slack out) or replace the fluid

P'impala02
05-14-2005, 04:10 PM
fluid's good.. i'll check the cable... hoping nothing internal, if it is, guess i'll be parting out...