PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT , Paddle Shifter

Integral
05-11-2005, 06:14 PM
hi,
can anyone point me in the direction, so that i might beable to convert my automatic transmission into one of those paddle shift transmissions. (and yes i have searched but i have not found any real information on this)

halxi
05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
id almost bet you have to thave a tranny built for the paddleshifting, which would mean an adapter plate for the motor that comes with it. Or an insanely awesome, one of a kind motor/tranny swap.

Or maybe you could just adapt the Syncro into the accord tranny.

Not sure on that last part though.

FyreDaug
05-11-2005, 06:57 PM
You're dreamin bud. Ofcourse it can be done, but I dont think anyone can point you in a direction to doing this. Especially since its an auto.

Integral
05-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Oh, i understood that to have a paddle transimssion you needed an auto. but i dont care i will get a standard transmission if i need to

shepherd79
05-12-2005, 05:24 AM
the problem here is that no one knows how they work.
you better off do your own research.

AccordEpicenter
05-12-2005, 05:40 AM
they trigger the computer to shift the automatic tranny, thats how all newer automatics are shifted, by a computer. Our trannies are manual valvebody, so this couldnt be dont without adapting a manual valvebody somehow (doesnt exist) and using servos/solenoids . Your in way over your head.

buds302
05-12-2005, 06:41 AM
go find a formula racing website and ask your question there cause no one here is that intensely knowledgeable to answer your ques.

danronian
05-12-2005, 06:56 AM
They actually came out with aftermarket kits for newer electroncially shifted automatic trannies but since ours aren't electronically shifted it would be very pricey and very hard to do.

FyreDaug
05-12-2005, 07:06 AM
And most autos will automatically shift at a certain RPM regardless of what gear you set it to anyways. Not that that really matters as you shouldnt be constantly letting it rev to 6k but I can tell you that you wont get the effect you want out of it.

I was assuming he wanted paddle shift with a standard which is more feasable but would require quite a bit of fabrication to get each paddle shift to change a spot in the "shift level" for lack of better word, and you would still need to clutch.

A20A1
05-12-2005, 08:51 AM
A solenoid strong enough to pull the shifter cable is a different story... plus you'd need it to move in stages... there are drag racing shifters for autos that makes it easier to shift... but I dunno how to set or modify them to work with our trans. Go look at Hurst and B&M and other shifter manufactures.

The best you could do without getting too technical is hook up the TV lever to a solenoid that will max out or nearly max out the pull on the TV lever... this will cause you to downshift even if you're not pressing the accelerator pedal... except however the trans doesn't always like to go back into 1st gear.
Anyways with the TV lever raised and maxed out you'll be running at high rpms most of the time... so you should think about getting extra oil cooler(s)

You could go straight solenoid but if you turn off the solenoid and let the TV lever drop you'll shift really early and the engine will lag like crazy.

EDIT: I wonder if an AIR RIDE type suspension component or valve would let you set stages so that all you need to do if find out where each gear engages... then set the switch to toggle thru the stages.

Forgar_88
05-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Dude, great idea and it would look cool, but thats too hard to accomplish. If you can figure out how to do it, post some pics and let us know how you did it.

FyreDaug
05-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Not to insult your intelligence Integral but I doubt youd be able to pull this off. Its the idea that counts though!

Integral
05-12-2005, 11:57 AM
origianlly posted by FyreDaug Not to insult your intelligence Integral but I doubt youd be able to pull this off. Its the idea that counts though!

thank you,
however im not thinking of converting my 3gee accord, im thinking about converting my 92 JDm h22 accord. i mean i think the JDM h22 transmission is computerized (if this is what some of youll are talking about).
but overall i see this as being just an idea, IDEA: maybe i could just get a transmission that is already paddle shift and get like an adapter plate and putting it on my h22...

FyreDaug
05-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I donno, I dont think you would have much luck with another transmission unless it was already put on an h22. Problem is, I dont see the trans lining up if you get it from another car, then you have to deal with custom drive shafts (assuming the trans fits). And then you have to deal with getting it to paddle shift.

Just curious, why do you want it? Whats wrong with a 5spd short throw?

EDIT: Not to mention you have to worry about transmission mounts too. Quite frankly this would be a very expensive project, but hell it CAN be done if you really wanted it that bad and just won the lottery, but either way, its gonna be very time consuming.

TTSpider
05-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Here is a little food for thought
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/sequential-gearbox.htm

Cant Stop
05-20-2005, 01:23 PM
actually it wouldn't be too hard to hook the cable up to a servo and make the shifting work thru your "paddles" you would need a timed relay and an adjustment knob setup so that it could be fine tuned every push on the paddle changes the gear of course the car would still do its own shifting
but the shift lever would now be electronic instead of manual
you could adapt the cruise control buttons for that factory look
hard but not impossible. and no i am not going to do it because i am old school not fast and furious.

MarioBurke
05-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Why dont you try buying a Rachet shifter and modifying it. a rachet shifter set up uses solenoids to move the TV cable in stages. When you slap it forward one time it will move the cable one step or shift into the next gear. Except having to manually shift out of Park and Reverse, you can simply use the solenoid to activate shifts 1 - 4. you could buy the steering wheel with the pre wired buttons and wire the upshift solenoid to the right button and the downshift solenoid to the left button. THen when you need to shift into reverse you would just reach down and manually shift the Rachet shifter.

PhydeauX
05-27-2005, 09:35 PM
I remember reading some toyota content on this a while ago. It might help with the h22 transmission but I don't know exactly how that one works. I can't find the original write up but this applies to the toyota A240E 4 speed auto transmission found in 4age powered mr2 and corollas. The transmission has several solonids in it to engage the gears. Anyway I've only read it and never owned a car with one so I'm just going to repeat the gist of it.

The transmission computer (or was it the ecm, well it doesn't really matter) would energize the solenoid for the correct gear when it wanted to shift. I beleve the solenoids had a similar effect to putting the shifter to the gear you wanted (the compter did not fully control the shifting there was a cable from the shifter as well). Anyhow what the guy did was to replace the computer with an electrical gizmo he cooked up that would engage the solenoids in sequence up or down, each time a switch was pressed. IIRC it was done with a pic but I don't really remember.

I don't remember how well it performed or wether he liked it, but I remeber him likening it to just starting out in D1 and pushing the stick forward, only not having to reach down for the stick. It wasn't a true paddle shift since you still had to put the stick in drive first, neutral and reverse were only available through the stick. Any way it may be a start.

Also.. I think you need a reverse valve body to take full advantage of a rachet shifter (one that puts 1st where drive is in the selector sequence) otherwise you have to rachet all the way back to 1st before you start out (may bother you, may not).

andy

MarioBurke
05-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Also.. I think you need a reverse valve body to take full advantage of a rachet shifter (one that puts 1st where drive is in the selector sequence) otherwise you have to rachet all the way back to 1st before you start out (may bother you, may not).

andy
im not an expert at all i have just been doing a lot of studying on transmissions. I dont even like rachet shifting i like the new DSG from Audi. BUT the ratchet shifter set up none the less is solenoid ran and depending on if you just get a ractchet shifter or the complete set up its set to activate the manual first solenoid 'AB'. as you ratchet up it selects solenoid 'B', then None and then back to 'A' in forth gear. that is the typical setup for a GM 4T60-E transmission.

dillirk
06-09-2005, 02:15 PM
try adapting a ratchet style shifter to work with the accord tranny then use an actuator to shift it