PDA

View Full Version : Where are the crankshaft bearings?

FerretGirl
05-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Anyone out there tonight?? I had to replace my oil pan gasket and when I got it all apart, I found a bunch of copper shavings in my pan... honda says it's most likely one of the crankshaft bearings and to look up in there to see if my crank is scored or if I can just get away with replacing the bearing. Well, where the hell are the bearings?? Anyone have pictures?? I'm not sure what I'm looking for!
Thanks in advance.

FyreDaug
05-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Crankshaft bearings would be the bearings that come into contact with the crank, connected to the block. Basically what the crank sits in.

Dutchboy
05-11-2005, 07:17 PM
theres more than one bearing and you have to remove the crankshaft or at least take offf the caps of the bearings and roll them in with it in place but its alot of work and if there that far gone into the copper then the crank will proabably neeed to be checked out...

you wont be able to see the bearing and they arent even really a bearing its a half moon piece of metal that fits around the crank journals
so you cant just see them.. it requires you to remove the caps and then retourqe everything proper and putting the caps the right way or youll eat the bearings alive

Bigg_Billy
05-12-2005, 03:40 AM
If you don't know where to find them, you better not try!

AccordEpicenter
05-12-2005, 04:11 AM
hold on, does it knock? If it doesnt knock, leave it alone

shepherd79
05-12-2005, 05:20 AM
i have to agree with epicenter, if the motor runs smooth leave it alone. clean the oil pan and put it back.
when time comes, that bearing will show signs of wear.

FyreDaug
05-12-2005, 07:04 AM
And eventually knock if it gets too bad. (figured it should be added)

88Accord-DX
05-12-2005, 09:32 AM
A dull clunking noise is the crankshaft bearings. More rapid knocking or clunking noise is the rod bearings. (going out)
Here is a good link on subject of rod and crank bearings. Pics included Ferretgirl. :)

http://www.circletrack.com/tipstricks/4636/

POS carb
05-12-2005, 01:37 PM
if the bearings are gone you're most likely looking at having to replace the crankshaft and all the bearings (might as well, it's already taken apart), might as well run the engine to the ground b/c if you put a bunch of work or $ to replace the bearings chances are the crank or the bore is already out of round and it will fail eventually, depending on how bad it is already.

I'd recommend you rebuild the entire bottom end or replace the motor with a junkyard unit (or a rebuilt unit if u have the $). Also change your oil more frequently to slow down the wear a bit

NXRacer
05-12-2005, 01:42 PM
if the bearings are wearing, take it easy. they can go out pretty fast if you're not careful.

FerretGirl
05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
There is a knock when it runs, sort of a fast rattle rattle sound. People hear it and tell me I need to check the oil. Ha ha, as if I didn't know that! I do need to replace the front crank seal, because it pours oil out right now. Sounds like I don't want to get into either one. But if I replace the seal and keep oil in it, it's ok for now to run it with a bad bearing?? Not sure I'm into a whole rebuild, and can't afford a new engine just yet. Hmmm. what a pain. Maybe I'll get that seal changed and see how it runs. Seems to run fine other than all the oil leaks. But I changed the pan gasket and now just leaking from the front crank seal.

Oldblueaccord
05-13-2005, 12:46 AM
There is a knock when it runs, sort of a fast rattle rattle sound. People hear it and tell me I need to check the oil. Ha ha, as if I didn't know that! I do need to replace the front crank seal, because it pours oil out right now. Sounds like I don't want to get into either one. But if I replace the seal and keep oil in it, it's ok for now to run it with a bad bearing?? Not sure I'm into a whole rebuild, and can't afford a new engine just yet. Hmmm. what a pain. Maybe I'll get that seal changed and see how it runs. Seems to run fine other than all the oil leaks. But I changed the pan gasket and now just leaking from the front crank seal.

A higher pitched rattle could be your valves are out of adjustment.

Usually if bearings start to wear you will get lower oil pressure as well. Do you have an oil pressure guage?

Very good chance its the oil pump that is leaking it is bolted to the front of the motor also below the water pump.

wp