PDA

View Full Version : Fast Blinkers - the non ghetto way

HaShfIeNd
05-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Hello did some research on fast blinkers and finally did the mod myself it was a snap... took some pictures... i've read a lot of different ways to do it, but this turned out really well.. anyways

i took out the blinker relay located under the dash near the fuses... and

and slowly and carefully pryed it out of its case...
http://hashfiend.kicks-ass.net/fastblinker/relayout.jpg

this is what it should look like.....notice how i picked out the resistor
http://hashfiend.kicks-ass.net/fastblinker/relayasis.jpg

well we took out that resistor... and put in the new variable resistor we wanted to use... this is getting ready to solder it in..
http://hashfiend.kicks-ass.net/fastblinker/gettingready.jpg

here this is how it is so we could test it.. we put it back in and it worked perfect! could adjust the blinker speed to slow(standard blink) or as fast as you wanted it (so rapid you couldn't see the blinking)

you use a small screw driver to turn it up and down..
http://hashfiend.kicks-ass.net/fastblinker/resist2.jpg

so anyway thats how i made my blinker go faster...

NXRacer
05-12-2005, 07:27 AM
awesome dude! :thumbup:

Forgar_88
05-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Wow that was easy to do. interesting thing to do, i never thought of making them blink at different speeds

Magny
05-12-2005, 08:30 AM
lol i already did that, but with a different one, done it almost 2 years ago, still workin too. only issue is i didnt take pictures like u did, and i wouldn't beable to show pics of my setup cause i can't find my cable to get them on the comp and show u. But good job on the relay. now just get some LED lights and it would look super nice lol. I did and looks great, better than the glow stayin on while its tryin to turn off and then all of the sudden, comes right back on makin it look like its constantly on. LED have a fast on and off affect to it, thats why i like them. if u are not sure where to get some great quality LED lights and very bright, let me know. some of the aftermarket ones in the shops don't brighten up very well.

BITESIZE
05-12-2005, 09:19 AM
where did you get the resistor and what kind

AccordNut
05-12-2005, 10:54 AM
nice work, but why would you want to go through that to make it look like one of your blinkers is out

HaShfIeNd
05-12-2005, 11:16 AM
nice work, but why would you want to go through that to make it look like one of your blinkers is out

hehe i wanted to be able to have them normal if i want or be able to speed them up rather then rigging them someway to only blink faster at a certain speed...

Magny
05-12-2005, 11:18 AM
i got one of those potentiometers that goes up to 100K ohms, the base may be big and bulky but at least the shaft knob can be trimmed so you can olace a knob on it. not only that, you can mount it on the dash somewhere and have it fully adjustaboe from there with some long wires. but be warry, u drill a hole in the housing, make sure u have some putty to cover the hole, otherwise it is gonna sound louder with the clicking. it dont bother me none but others might get disturbed lol. oh i got mine rom radio shack

HaShfIeNd
05-12-2005, 11:19 AM
where did you get the resistor and what kind

just a variable resistor.. just measured the ones thats on there it looked about 90k ohms.. so just had one laying around that went to 0-100k ohms so just used that... so when its all the way up its pretty much stock speed... then the as you lower the resistance it blinks faster... the way it is now its cramped i would like to make it so you can just controll it while sitting down, but wanted to put it on and test it before we finalize the work

HaShfIeNd
05-12-2005, 11:22 AM
i got one of those potentiometers that goes up to 100K ohms, the base may be big and bulky but at least the shaft knob can be trimmed so you can olace a knob on it. not only that, you can mount it on the dash somewhere and have it fully adjustaboe from there with some long wires. but be warry, u drill a hole in the housing, make sure u have some putty to cover the hole, otherwise it is gonna sound louder with the clicking. it dont bother me none but others might get disturbed lol. oh i got mine rom radio shack

lol must have been typing at the same time, yah thats definately what we want is to run some wires to a knob somewhere, also its pretty reachable just where the relay is so we might just like stick a nob on the one thats on there so i can just reach down and turn it with no screw driver or whatever

just need a place for whatever you put on it to come out of the plastic casing (if you plan on using it)

Magny
05-12-2005, 11:27 AM
yeah im using the housing, have a hole where the wires come out, plus just long enough so when i do remove the dash (at some point when i get to it) and put an aluminum dash there with new gauges and stuff, ill mount it somewhere on there, but gotta cut it, crimp longer wires, and mount the control somewhere. but the dash thing is gonna hella be delayed now cause of bills and tryin to keep the old accord from dyin. damn thing wants to go, but i aint lettin it. but anyways i got it on about a foot length of wire, wrapped up under the dash in an area so it wont be in the way of my driving.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-12-2005, 12:02 PM
You know you could have just done what I did over a year ago and bought those led blinkers b/c they make your lights blink really fast too b/c they are of a different resistance.

HaShfIeNd
05-12-2005, 02:26 PM
You know you could have just done what I did over a year ago and bought those led blinkers b/c they make your lights blink really fast too b/c they are of a different resistance.

yah you can get the LED break lights i got some of those also work, i read a lot of otherways people did it, LED lights is a pretty easy way.. i like being able to return my mods to stock if i want

HaShfIeNd
05-13-2005, 03:31 PM
yah you can get the LED break lights i got some of those also work, i read a lot of otherways people did it, LED lights is a pretty easy way.. i like being able to return my mods to stock if i want

After i made the mod i ran to autozone and grabbed some LED break lights.. thesed ended up making my blinkers even faster, so those would definately work, plus the read break lights as your blinker is an easy custom backlight option and looks great!.. your break light and blinker light are a little different sockets... so the break light wont just fit into your blinker socket, i had to file off the upper "lock-in bump thing" so that i'd fit.. but that took all of 2 seconds, :)

Micah 89LXi
05-14-2005, 03:25 PM
aluminum dash..u mean like trim kit or whole dashboard made of aluminum..and if so..why on earth?

Magny
05-15-2005, 05:16 PM
the whole thing

just to give it a race car feel but with style, not just flat panels, gonna give it some kind of style

3gmodifier
05-17-2005, 10:18 PM
i re molded my entire dash from fiber glass and molded in the tripple tach pod from auto meter that was was made for the eg hatch

blownoffvalve
05-19-2005, 11:14 AM
is there pics of this? I cant view anything

3gmodifier
05-23-2005, 10:46 PM
pics are coming, i dont have a digital camera or scanner, but my friend has a camera. i will borrow it and take some pictures to show you all. as of right now it is installed but in primer. i had to test fit it. i am going to pull it back out in about a month to paint it along with all my door jambs, inside of doors, and interior plastics. i am going to paint it nsx blue (B510P) it's a three stage pearl, it loks awesome in the light. i cant wait to paint every thing and show every one.

GOTWILDRICE
10-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm looking to do this the way hashinfield outlines - but cant get the pictures in his how too to come up - there are 2 resistors in the relay - can someone please let me know which one you replace with a variable resistor -
thanks in advance