PDA

View Full Version : Carb newbie questions

BiGDawG_RTL
05-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey all. I've never had a carb'ed accord before and have some questions.

1. Whats with the O2 sensor?!?? Is it a computer controlled carb? otherwise how could the O2 sensor do anything???

2. Do the common performance mods (intake, exhaust) make as much of a difference on a carb vs. EFI?

3. I want to get more power but i still want it to run like a honda, and i'm cheap. What i can do that doesn't involve anything drastic like putting in a different carb and vac. line removal, or does that make a huge difference?

BTW I got a 88 LX 4DR

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

shepherd79
05-12-2005, 06:29 PM
1. O2 sensor in carbs are there for emission stuff. it some how connects to ECU but you can get rid of all the shit and your car will still run just fine.
2. they would if you put enough money in to upgading carb and getting better camshaft.
3. if you want more power, start simply by doing reasearch. what kind power gainds do you want? do you have emission tests? how much money do you have? and so on and on. vacuum line removal makes a huge diff. even on stock accord. the problem is that you will never pass emission test if you have them.

BiGDawG_RTL
05-12-2005, 07:17 PM
1. O2 sensor in carbs are there for emission stuff. it some how connects to ECU but you can get rid of all the shit and your car will still run just fine.
2. they would if you put enough money in to upgading carb and getting better camshaft.
3. if you want more power, start simply by doing reasearch. what kind power gainds do you want? do you have emission tests? how much money do you have? and so on and on. vacuum line removal makes a huge diff. even on stock accord. the problem is that you will never pass emission test if you have them.

:ugh: Bummer, i have to be able to pass emissions, living in the city.

I'm really curious as to how the whole computer & carb thing works. I've never had a carburated car before so this is all new to me. But i thought carbs were purly mechanical, what does the computer do for it?

TheWatcher
05-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Most people replace the O2 sensors to improve fuel economy AFAIK. Also, they might be a bitch to remove, so keep that in mind. If you want more info on fuel sensors, go to the NGK site.

Peace.

shepherd79
05-13-2005, 03:45 AM
computer controls all those solenoids that are around the carb. it doesn't control the carb actually. just the emssion part.

kcaudill
05-13-2005, 03:45 AM
Most people replace the O2 sensors to improve fuel economy AFAIK. Also, they might be a bitch to remove, so keep that in mind. If you want more info on fuel sensors, go to the NGK site.

Peace.

Nice Pic!!!! :rockon:

lostforawhile
06-21-2005, 07:03 PM
ok heres how it works, the carb is jetted rich from the factory what the o2 sensor the barometric pressure sensor,the air jet controller all do is control air being let into the intake manifold. those big white valves on the side of the intake open and close at high frequency just like a fuel injector but they inject air. the air fuel mixture is adjusted by reading the mixture from the o2 sensor and several other sensors. it adjusts your air fuel mixture depending on driving conditions. the computer does directly interact with the carb, it adjusts idle speed if needed .and just think of the intake manifold being part of the carb in this case the air jets are on the intake instead of the carb.the black box also contains two valves called the frequency soloinoid valves those control those control those big white valves i was talking about.