PDA

View Full Version : timing issue?

AccordNut
05-14-2005, 10:53 AM
well since i put on the new dizzy ive been messin with it to find the right spot. although it doesnt make sense to me that the dizzy only has maybe an inch of play but is that how the timing is adjusted? i just put it in a random spot but every once in a while ill get a popping like small backfire out the tail pipe when its revving down. wondered if this is the problem, i also have an error code 10 (faulty intake sensor) so my air/fuel isnt right. amazingly i still get 31 mpg but the power is ugly. anyway i dont have a timing light so any suggestions?

Oldblueaccord
05-14-2005, 05:38 PM
well since i put on the new dizzy ive been messin with it to find the right spot. although it doesnt make sense to me that the dizzy only has maybe an inch of play but is that how the timing is adjusted? i just put it in a random spot but every once in a while ill get a popping like small backfire out the tail pipe when its revving down. wondered if this is the problem, i also have an error code 10 (faulty intake sensor) so my air/fuel isnt right. amazingly i still get 31 mpg but the power is ugly. anyway i dont have a timing light so any suggestions?

Mine occasionally backfires or pops a little. Usually if I short shift like from 3 to 5th and I have been on it a little in 3rd.

The timing is adjusted by moving the distributor. Idle goes up the timing is advancing. Idle down its going back or retarding. As long as its not pinging alot then your fine. Pinging will hurt your motor pretty quick.

wp

AccordEpicenter
05-14-2005, 05:59 PM
my advise: Get a timing lite. A few degreess makes a HUGE difference

mouchyn
05-15-2005, 12:27 AM
my advise: Get a timing lite. A few degreess makes a HUGE difference

agreed.

get that ECU code fixed, too. If the ECU is throwing a code, it'll go into open loop and disregard all the other sensors on the engine.